Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

faint print quality on Canon i-SENSYS MF8340Cdn

Customer Question

Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I would advise you to do several Head Cleaning cycles, using either the controls on your printer, or the Maintenance functions in your printer software on the computer.

(On a Windows PC, those can usually be found at
Start - Control Panel - Devices and Printers
and right-click, there, on the icon representing your printer, and choose Properties.
Then look for the Maintenance tab, where the Head Cleaning function should be located.)

If that doesn't help, you might possibly have a defective printer, unless:
1. you have put non-Canon-OEM ink in the printer: either refills, or remanufactured cartridges, or 'Canon compatible' cartridges.
or
2. you are using non-standard paper that Canon iSensys ink does not work well with, perhaps.

Let me know, please, and I will advise you further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it seems that the copy function the res is too high but printing pdfs off my pc they image part of the doc is faint (compared to my work printer - this is for my home use).. tried all the manual function settings but it just doesnt print what is on the screen

OK.

If the photocopies from the printer are all too good, but the printout isn't, then it *isn't* a print engine problem as I thought at first.

Have you tried going into the printer driver settings at
Then look for 'resolution' or 'print quality' and set it to high-quality, or any entry whose value is 'Draft' and disable Draft printing (which wouldn't apply to photocopying.)
Then save the changed setting by clicking on OK until the Properties sheet closes.

Also check on the printer as to whether it is in Draft printing mode.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi

.. tried all that.. theres nothing referring to draft anywhere.. its all set to factory defaults.. tried printing in 'graphic' / 'photo' and still the same.. spent 4 hours on it now.. to be honest cant find 'cleaning' anywhere wither on the printer or in control>properties

OK. When you installed the printer, did you connect it to the computer first,

... or did you do the software and driver install first?

If the former, then please tell me the following about your computer:

What is your computer, a Windows PC or an Apple computer?

Which version of Windows (or MAC OS X ) is on it?

(If a Windows PC, what is its System Type? either 32-bit or 64-bit, and found in
Start - Control Panel - System and Security - System .)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pc windows 7 64
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
connected orinter to pc and downloaded driver off canon site