Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My printer Canon ip7250 (serial no. ACPD07107) worked

Customer Question

My printer Canon ip7250 (serial no. ACPD07107) worked for a while in printing out a long email message, but now sends a ten-orange flash error message, Support Code B200, to refuse to do any repeats. It misbehaved earlier today with refusing to print about 24 pages that I had scanned with my HP Scanjet 200, that had worked satisfactorily previously. Operating system is 8.1 and I really need to photocopy some information for a US tax declaration. I have tried turning it off and changing USB port and unplugging, but to no avail. I live in England and really don't want to delay my copying any longer, if you can help PLEASE!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Have you tried cleaning the machine yet?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, how do I do it?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is an area on the cartridge that when pushed ink will come out that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It printed a couple of pages after cleaning and then repeated the error message (Code B200) that I had received earlier. Cleaning seemed to be straightforward, but as I had no message to insert cartridges after waiting some minutes, I did return them to their positions without the message.

I'd really like to get this fixed tonight if at all possible, PLEASE.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Remove the ink cartridges and look at the carriage, is there a latch or lever you can lift?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have looked with torch/flashlight and can see no liftable latch or lever. Orange light has stopped flashing, but I haven't asked it to print again. White light has also stopped flashing; shall I try printing again?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok you may have a bar on the front of the carriage that slides back and forth. Pull that towards you. That should allow you to grab the center of the print head and pull it out by leaning it towards you. Let me know once you have it removed.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That doesn't seem to work - there's nothing to lift or slide back and forth as far as I can see and I don't want to break anything with too much pulling. Cartridges are out again; carriage is in centre of opening; light is again flashing; power is on. And I can't remove the print head. Where do I go from here, Freddy M?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Try this, here is a video of what I mean: Click Here Once you have it out, Take the print head and soak it in warm water for 10 minutes. Change the water after 10 minutes and repeat this until the water runs clear. After that let it dry 10 minutes. Put it back in the machine and then put the ink back in. By hand move the carriage back and forth a few times on the bar and then leave it in the middle. Close and it should try to recalibrate, or it will continue to show the same error. Please let me know which one it does. If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've looked at several of the videos but still cannot remove the print head from the machine. I've tried Cannon support, incidentally, in case the ip7250 has some secret opener, but the web site I'm directed to is in an oriental language or languages which I've no idea how to read.

Must go to bed now; will switch all off after your reply, Freddy, and maybe be able to find time to try again tomorrow.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
The video I sent you in my reply above should be exactly how it is done, however if cleaning the print head that way does not work B200 can mean there is a problem with either the print head or the logic board. We would have ruled out the print head which I really hate to tell you this means the logic board would need to be replaced. The board alone normally costs around £75 not including any labour if a technician is replacing it. Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine instead as that can be cheaper. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****dy,

After coming back to the problem before 6 a.m. this morning and rereading instructions that said I shouldn't use multiple power outlets for plugging in the printer, I brought out extension cord to one power outlet, plugged computer in there, and hey presto! the printer is now back on form. Although you didn't suggest this yourself, maybe the cleaning of the printheads and the resting of the printer overnight, plus isolated power source made the difference. Anyway, I am overjoyed not to have to ask neighbours for help or find a new printer or find a shop that does printing for others.

Thank you for your attempts to help - it is wonderful to have the printer operating properly again, and maybe next time someone gets into a similar problem you might suggest the single power source. (It's in the set-up instructions, but I hadn't paid sufficient attention to that point untill yesterday.)

Best wishes, Elizabeth Murley

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

.
You're welcome I am glad to hear it is working and will make sure to remember that, please don't forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.