Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

Canon Pixma ix6850 On power-up , ***** *****ght flashes three

Canon Pixma ix6850
On power-up , ***** *****ght flashes three times then pauses and repeats. printer carriage remains parked at left of unit.
I previously had a sheet of paper tear in the printer so there could be a residual piece of paper hidden from view, however I have printed a few sheets successfully since the jam but prior to today's failure.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step, remove the power cable from the wall socket and wait 10 minutes.
Then connect the power, turn on the printer and tell me if it now functions please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Richard,

I have reconnected the printer after 15 minutes.

On power up, print head parked on left. ***** *****ght flashes in sets of three, pauses and repeats as before.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, open it and gently try to move the ink cartridge with your hand, does this dislodge it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have moved the ink cartridge carrier to the centre of its travel.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, now try to print Steve, Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

***** *****ght still flashing.

tried off+on, but still flashing.

Printer dialogue window states "error occurred"

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the issue Steve
It is the print head that has faulted.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the repair will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you , Richard. Obviously not quite the answer I hoped for. Before I send the printer back, can we be sure that there is not a small piece of paper jammed out of view?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I saw in your description, after the Jam was cleared, paper still went through the printer correct?
Or did this means something else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Correct, and by implication the jam is cleared. However, when I pulled the offending sheet out it was torn and I have a nagging feeling that there could still be a piece in there that has re-jammed the printer. Do you think this is possible?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it would have stopped the other paper feeding through, as if anything is on that sensor you get a paper jam error.
But your not getting that correct, just error?
If there was paper stuck it would give the paper jam error.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Isn't the three flashes of amber a paper jam error?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It means Front Tray or Front Feed Support is closed.
But we went through all steps to resolve that and you would see this.
But we can do one thing and force a piece of card through the printer which would dislodge anything stuck.
Can you do this Steve?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have spent some time poking around with a 2 inch wide strip of 190 gsm paper fed from the paper loading tray. I can't detect any debris but note that the strip will not go past the white plastic bar that is below the printer carriage rail. Should it be possible to feed the paper right through ?

Thank you for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No if the print head or drive motor has failed Steve.
With even paper jammed it should still feed through unless physical paper was blocking it.
If you look where the ink cartridge goes, you don't see anything there at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I unplugged the power cord, gently dragged the print carriage to the right and found a square inch of paper jammed in the drive cogs on the left hand side. I removed the debris repowered the printer and tried to print. After 5 minutes of whirring and clunking a print appeared. A second trial was instantly successful.

Well done Richard. 100% review on its way.

Many thanks, Steve.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Good one Steve!
Very strange why the paper that feeded after the jam came through, maybe it was from the following pages, but good teamwork on this.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think the offending piece must have been floating around for a while , then got pushed into the gearing by the print head.

Many thanks for pushing me in the right direction.

All the Best,

Steve

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome Steve