Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a Kodak ESP C315 printer, and suddenly the black cartridge

I have a Kodak ESP C315 printer, and suddenly the black cartridge is working only faintly. I was using a non-kodak cartridge, but have now replaced with a Kodak one, but still there is no black printing. I have cleaned the print heads several times.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Have you tried cleaning the machine by hand yet?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have cleaned the bit where the ink hits the paper

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It sounds like that may be different than what I meant.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is an area on the cartridge that when pushed ink will come out that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done what you said, but the black is still very faint.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Do you know how to remove the print head?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, but I can try.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Remove the ink cartridges and look at the carriage there should be either a latch or a bullseye you can lift/push in on. That would allow you to release the print head and remove it.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there is a bullseye, but it is very stubborn and doesn't move.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Push in on that while you lift the print head:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've done it!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok good now put the ink cartridges to the side. Take the print head and soak it in warm water for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes change the water. Repeat this until after 10 minutes the water is clear. Then let the print head air dry for 10 minutes. Do not test it but put it and the ink cartridges back into the machine. Now run the cleaning built into the machine at least once then test it. If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy. I did everything you said, but the black is still very faint and unreadable.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unfortunately if the same thing happens it usually means the black nozzle in the print head is damaged. You can not replace the nozzle though you need to replace the entire print head. Your machine uses a Kodak #30 print head, this is the cheapest I have found it: Click Here If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Kodak.
.