Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

My Epson 438Wis not printing despite having new ink fitted

Customer Question

My Epson 438Wis not printing despite having new ink fitted correctly and printer working working fine
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
What exactly is it doing when you try to print? For example no response, a blank page, an error etc.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

blank page

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please print this page, do either the colour or black portions print?
If you make a copy from the scanner glass does that print?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

NO

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You replied within 30 seconds you could not have tested both of those, please test both and let me know exactly what happens. Even if you tested the copy function before that was not enough time to test this page. If you refuse to test them let me know so I can opt out.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hAVE TESTED THEM BEFORE I GOT ON TO YOU

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
How could you have tested printing this page before coming to this page? I am going to opt out as I just mentioned.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried them earlier because it wasn't printing from my computer

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Since you are getting blank pages, even on photocopies (not just prints) hese symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head, or the logic board that controls it.
You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.
I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. If you've been using generic/refiled inks, that will damage the head and cause this problem as well.
Realistically, it's time for a new printer. As a 2012 model, it is at the end of its 3 year service life, and isn't worth repairing.
While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $120 just for the part, and another $100 for labor (you can't do it yourself), A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.
That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.
Best regards,
Nathan