Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a Canon MG5250 that says Error and stopped printing.

I have a Canon MG5250 that says Error and stopped printing. Error is on Printerhead.
Do I really have to buy a whole new printer, because labour is so expensive? I've used it for 4 years non stop in a home setting..not a lot like in an office. I didn't know I should have cleaned it. Now I cant get it to work so that I can still clean it.
Hope you can help.
Marianne
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
What is the exact and entire error including any numbers? Have you tried cleaning it by hand yet?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A Computerdoctor found that Error B200 means Printerhead. He then said that it cannot be repaired and I'd have to buy a new printer. All very well, but I have hardly any money and want to repair it myself with your help. Perhaps it means that they need to be cleaned? What does the printerhead look like? I've opened it and am looking at the packed in cartridges to the right.

On the front is a green and an orange light going on alternately.

Am glad you mailed again, as I'm a dummy on anything technical and had paid, but left unsatisfied.

Hoping you can assist.

Marianne

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
B200 can be multiple things the print head is indeed one of the possibilities but not the only one. It is also not the most likely and telling you that was the only cause was incorrect. It can be the carriage not moving, a dirty encoder strip, a dirty print head, a failed print head or a failing logic board. We need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. First the carriage should have moved over to you and should not have stayed on the right, is it stuck on the right?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Amazing how the printer suddenly gave off a tone....

What do you mean carriage should have moved over to you? Its always on the right to begin with and then moves over. Its on the right now.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That's what I meant "ts always on the right to begin with and then moves over." when you open it, it should move over, does it do that still with the error showing?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its about two months ago that this happened and as I remember I thought it needed a cartridge which I put and then discovered there was something else going on! Didin't know what to do. Sat on it, saved up and called this Computer doctor who did some things to it, maybe that's why it now stuck to the right.

What to do?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I am still not sure from what you said but we will try this anyway.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.

Then by hand move the carriage by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the carriage in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I opened it and suddenly saw there was a paperjam. Couldn't get part of the paper out. But was then able manually to move that part that holds the cartridges to and fro 5x.

On plugging in, it looked as if the printer was thinking about it all...but then suddenly came back to B200 and alternate flashing.

What now?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Where was the paper jam?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Don't know what its called. Its that grew flat bar to which, I think the print cartridges are attached and i just tried to move it...fingers covered with ink.

Its where the paper goes to get printed...it goes underneath this flat bar.

The cartridges are on the right again.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Please repeat the same steps as before but this time using a lint free cloth please clean that plastic strip as best you can before leaving it in the middle.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh, what I moved to the middle was the ink cartridges not a plastic strip, you didn't say. The link isn't inky at all.

OK, I pulled that to and fro 5x.

The bar under which the paper goes to be printed was inky.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I never said to pull the strip I said to pull the carriage. You should only be cleaning the strip not pulling on it. It should be behind the carriage as well not below it. If you cleaned something else clean the strip behind it as well and let me know if the error stays the same.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Freddy, so glad you are helping me! I don't know what you mean by the carriage. The only item that moves to and fro are the cartridges held together. And underneath that or to the left side is this ribbon like plastic.

OK I'll clean the rubber strip on which the cartridges rest to the back. It consists of 8 or 9 blocks. It looks like rubber, its white-ish in colour. It wasn't inky. It was inky when I tried to pull the stuck paper out from it. But it doesn't budge. It would be great to be able to pull that piece of paper out from there. Perhaps its just a paper jam and the printer computer got it all wrong!

It's Wifi, so guess you can access it.

No is still blinking and showing that I need to unplug it and contact the service centre.

I do want to fix this...its a beaut of a glossy black PIXMA printer ...just a hitch after working brilliantly.

Appreciated,

Marianne

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I can not access it. If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, I cleaned all the points as you said, filled the half empty cartridges and switched back on after 1 minute....and unfortunately...its a no..no. Still the same response.

How shall we do it?

Someone's just come to help me with a major job here in the office, for which I have to pay her, so I have to go and do that.It has to be ready this afternoon and I cant not do it. I will come back to you after that?

Marianne

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unfortunately from what you just told me if you still have the same error B200 it rules out the print head as well as the machine being dirty. That only leaves a failing logic board that needs to be replaced in order to fix this. If the machine is under a year old this is normally covered by the warranty. Without one unfortunately it is usually cheaper to replace the machine as the part alone normally costs between £50 and £75. The labour if you have a technician replace it would be about the same. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This beauty of a machine is four years old and am sad to let it go. Its got everything I wanted.

We've done our best.

So thanks and yes I'll leave an excellent rating for you!

Marianne

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.