Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a canon MG7150 printer and a Mac OS Mountain Lion computer.

I have a canon MG7150 printer and a Mac OS Mountain Lion computer. The printer is wired but a fault has developed in that it will print one sheet but then the communication breaks down and the printer/computer continues to think it is still printing and the document is not cleared from the print queue where I find the message 'printing' which will only stop when I click on delete. If I turn off the printer & start again it will print one sheet. Can you help me? I have recently updated software on both the printer & the Mac.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
When it shows printing if you do not delete but just turn the machine off and on, does that job print or still show as printing in the que without doing anything?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have to turn off the Mac as well as the printer to clear the problem. If I only turn off the printer, the problem persists & I cannot print anything. The printer display shows Processing - please wait but the computer queue only clears when I delete but does not completely clear unless I turn the computer off.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
When you reinstalled the driver how did you do it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did it from the canon website

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I meant what steps did you use.
Just in case please do it this way make sure to restart both times it is important.
Uninstall the printer from your mac.
Then disconnect the cable connecting it to the mac.
(if using a cable if not skip any cable steps)

You will need to restart the computer, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.
Restart the computer and reinstall the printer using the Canon download.

Only connect the usb cable when the mac asks you to or when the installation is finished.
Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done what you have said but I cannot see any difference. The first sheet prints out but then we have 'processing' on the printer & 'printing' in the print queue on the computer until I manually delete the document & turn off both machines.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You said that you already switched USB cables so we can rule that out, what about ports on the Mac? Have you switched to a different one yet and see if the same thing happens?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Changing the ports has no affect. The cable I am using did not come with the printer but it has been working okay in the past few weeks (the printer is only a couple of months old!). I've just remembered that I had trouble before when it was connected wirelessly & my daughter changed it to cable just to get it to work. Should I look for a dedicated cable, an Apple or Canon recommended make? I experimented just now & tried to print a document before I put the printer on & it came up with a 306 communication error code even after I put the printer back on. I am sure you know what you are doing but as for me this end I am not a techy I know so little about computers.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You did not mention it was ever connected wireless. Disconnect the USB cable completely and then restart/delete the job. Try to print without it connected by cable at all and see if it prints.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it won't print because all the wireless settings were cleared so when I try to print now the print queue says the printer is off line & unable to send data.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok I was asking because what you are seeing with it switching to offline is normal for the machine if it is connected wireless. Please try resetting the print system on the Mac like this, it may force you to add the printer back again after:

Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
Choose Print & Scan from the View menu.
Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button. If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This seems to have worked - sorry I haven't printed wirelessly for a number of weeks but the problem seems to have resolved itself by changing back to wireless. Would this be indicating that it is the cable that is at fault? Many many thanks

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and no it just means that the machine was fighting over which to use the cable or wireless. Switching back to the original normally stops that from happening. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.