Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My canon mp540 steadfastly remains off line, whatever I do

My canon mp540 steadfastly remains off line, whatever I do can you help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Offline means the Mac and printer can not communicate with each other, have you tried a different port on the Mac yet?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes all the available ports with different leads which work on my husbands pp

c

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
They work with the same printer on your husbands computer or with another printer/device? When you reinstalled what steps did you use?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No he has his own printer. he doesnt want to download drivers for my printer. This printer worked fine before we moved house recently and i upgraded mac to Yosemite.I followed the apple help instructions, but it just says printer is off line all the time.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Just in case please do it this way make sure to restart both times it is important.
Uninstall the printer from your mac.
Then disconnect the cable connecting it to the mac.
(if using a cable if not skip any cable steps)

You will need to restart the computer, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.
Restart the computer and reinstall the printer using the Canon download.

Only connect the usb cable when the mac asks you to or when the installation is finished.
Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I dont know how to uninstall the printer. I seem to have installed 3 times rather than uninstalling it....I am using a USB cable.Where do I find the canon download ?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
To uninstall click on one of the printers and then click on the minus (-) symbol. You should not need a download if you have 3 like that. Instead go back to the same place after restarting and use the plus (+) symbol to add it back.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I now have apparently uninstalled all 3 printers which didnt work. but cant apparently add one now the plus symbol wont work...

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Did you restart first? Did you reconnect the USB cable?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done all that and tried to reinstall the printer, but I cant add the printer, When I try to click the add sign to add a printer, there is no response..... I have turned the computer off and on as you said, I have tried with the usb lead...

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please try resetting the print system on the Mac like this:

Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
Choose Print & Scan from the View menu.
Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button. If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry....I Can do the Apple menu bit...and Printer and scanners and the control bit, but what is the contextual menu? I am not very good at this!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
On your keyboard hold down the control key, whild holding it down click the box above the (+) symbol. Doing that should open the contextual menu.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done that, but nothing comes up in the box....the mac just makes a little noise , am losing the will to live here and chuck it out the window!!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Unfortunately now we would need to check the port on the printer itself is working. The easiest way to do that is to connect it on another computer and see if it does the same thing as your Mac. If it does it would mean it is the port on the printer.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The other computer knows its there, this one does'nt now know its there My mac book is 5yrs old and a bit cranky, and I am not very good at this so perhaps I need to buy a new printer and or mac?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Just detecting it is not enough you need to see if it will communicate properly, to do that you would need to install and try to print. You could install the printer on the other computer to this one as well, that would let us rule out the Mac completely if it works properly.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its not possible to install on the other computer, long story, but its just not pos.Maybe I havent downloaded the software properly, am trying to open the download just now...

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok as I mentioned if it is possible you could install the printer connected to the other computer to this one, just to see if it will print or not. If it does print then we would know it is your printer causing the problem.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't do that ! I Don't have access to it.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok well do you have any USB device you can install onto this Mac and see if it works properly? Right now it sounds like the port on the Canon has failed and to fix it a board would need to be replaced. It is usually cheaper to replace the machine. However it could also be the Mac not detecting USB devices properly. To find out you need to try something else that uses the Mac USB ports and see if it works properly or not. Even a flash drive or something like that would work. If it works properly it is the port on the Canon which requires a board being replaced. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** recognises a usb drive , so it sounds like the printer....I think I shall have to take the mac to an apple shop and get some advice....I am hopeless at trying to sort things out .and live miles from nowhere in the Scottish highlands... So will give up for now and try and get a lifeLaughing

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Unfortunately that does indeed sound like it is the printer unfortunately. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.