Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My Canon MG6150 says 'a printer error has occurred'. It says

My Canon MG6150 says 'a printer error has occurred'. It says to try restarting, which I have, and if that doesn't do the trick to refer to the Manual. Unfortunately I have lost my Manual. Can you help please?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Does it show a number?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not sure what number you mean, sorry.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Does the error message show a number?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok so it does not show anything like B200, 6A00, 5100 etc. Look at the lights on the printer instead, do they flash in a pattern? It can flash up to 20 times before starting again. It would be something like 5 orange pause and then repeat.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, ignore my last message, it does have a number! It is C000.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Thank you that is what I needed to know.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.

Then open it as if you were going to change the ink.
By hand move the carriage back and forth 3 or 4 times, it should move freely.

Leave it in the middle of the bar and then plug the machine back in.
Turn it on and wait for it to detect the carriage in the middle, then once it is done test it.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy,

Thanks, ***** ***** what you said - I took the plug out, moved the carriage up and down four times, and left it in the middle. I put the plug back and turned the machine on, but no luck when I tried to copy something. It said I hadn't turned the machine off properly, and I realized I hadn't switched off before unplugging.

So I tried again, switching off, then unplugging. But this time when I turned the printer back on I couldn't move the carriage at all. Do you have any other suggestions please?

Mary

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Next you would need to try and get it over again, leave the machine on and hopefully it will move over by itself. Then clean the plastic stip behind the carriage. It can be either white or clear, using a lint free cloth is all you need to clean it.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cleaned what I thought was the strip you meant, a whitish one behind the carriage above a strip with 2 rectangular holes and 5 square ones.

Is that right? Anyway still no luck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

11.15 pm....going to bed, will look tomorrow.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again. The paper is getting jammed underneath the printer, at the back.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I apologize I think we may be in different time zones I am in the EST in the USA. After cleaning you got it to try to print and off the C000 error? Now it is attempting to print but jams once it reaches the transport unit requiring you to turn it around and remove it from the back of the machine correct?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - I'm in the UK. I have to remove the front paper tray and lift the printer up to see the paper stuck at the back. About to go out, but back in a couple of hours.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
When you're back, Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

.