Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a Pixma MG5350 and find it very satisfactory. Yesterday

I have a Pixma MG5350 and find it very satisfactory.
Yesterday it would not switch on.(I have checked the mains lead) Is there an internal fuse or Re-set button? or have you any suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
There is no fuse or reset button on this machine. Does it show any sign of power at all?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No sign at all

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok even if this one is working with other devices, please plug the printer into an outlet in a different room. Then push down hard on the power button and hold it for 30 seconds. Does it do anything?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok next we would need to test the power cable. Do you happen to have another? A lot of Canons use the same type, as do some dvd players.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried another lead but it does not work

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is not a good sign, how old is the machine? If it is over a year old did you happen to get an extended warranty with it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bought in 2012. No extended warranty.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn there are two things that can cause this when it is not an issue with the power cable or power from the outlet. The power button coming loose from the control board and the power supply unit the power cable connects to. The reason I asked you to push hard before was in case the button was coming loose from the board, pushing hard would have turned it on if that was the case. This means to fix it the power supply unit would need to be replaced which on this model is integrated into the main board. So to replace it the main board needs to be replaced. Unfortunately without a warranty it is usually cheaper to replace the machine itself rather than the part. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.