Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

My canon MX330 prepares automatically then reverts to "Error" - all the tricks -

My canon MX330 prepares automatically then reverts to "Error" - all the tricks - switch on/off- swop leads and plug ins - uninstall and reinstall. "Error" appears. Have used it with new PC M'soft Vista but was first installed with XP .
What to do next?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Can you please tell me the exact and specific error code/message you get? Is that error showing on the printer or the computer?

Customer:

On the Canon MX330

Nathan :

I need to know the exact error message or code that you are seeing.

Nathan :

There should be some numbers/letters, such as B200, 6a00, etc

Customer:

number on the printer screen is 5100 directly under "Error"

Customer:

I'm sorry I had waited over 30mins for any intial response - not yr fault I'm sure - so when I didn't appear to get a response I went off to attend to some cooking. Sad really that I was away so long I was expecting the usual interval. I am a first time user so couldn't predict timing.

Customer:

PLease reply when you reconnect . I shall come back after i have been out. Perhaps another hour..::alan richardson PS - YOU have a good day-

Nathan :

Hello, Alan, thank you for the information.

Nathan :

This 5100 error indicates a carriage fault. This can be anything from some internal contamination or a paperjam, or a hardware failure like a bad printhead, damaged encoder, faulty urge unit, etc.

What you can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.

First open up the printer and check for any obstructions with a flashlight. Remove any paperjams or other debris you find, watching carefully for any stray paperclips, staples, etc. Blow the inside out with compressed air. Remove and then reseat the cartridges.

Lastly clean the "encoder strip" which is a clear plastic strip in the back of the printer, running the width of the machine, behind the printhead/carriage. Wipe it down with a clean cloth and be sure there are no ink smears or dirt on it.

Close the printer back up.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If the error persists at that point, it's time for a new printer. While it is possible to resolve this, it simply wouldn't be practical to do so. This is a 2009 model that was built for only a 3 year service life, so it just is not worth fixing. Parts and labor would run you $200-250, while you could buy a brand new and updated model with a fresh warranty for about $75.

Depending how you'd like to proceed from there, I can help with finding parts or a repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you, just let me know.

Customer:

Nathan I'm sure yr advice was goo but nothing worked. I shall consult a local/friendly geek before making the final consignment

Customer:

Alan Richardson

Customer:

I'm sure Nathan's advice was good .

Nathan :

Thanks for trying, Alan, and sorry that didn't work. I hope you can find someone local that will perhaps see something that you missed, but it is unlikely given the age of the system.

Nathan :

As a bit of free extra advise, here is a replacement model I'd suggest, if you're interested:
Epson WorkForce WF-2630 Four-in-One for the Small Printer with Wifi and AirPrint (Print/Scan/Copy/Fax) (click for link)

It is reasonably priced, good print quality, easy to set up and use, and has relatively inexpensive inks.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan