Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Printer ESP 5250. Black ink not printing from laptop. Colour

Customer Question

Printer ESP 5250.
Black ink not printing from laptop. Colour is fine. Black ink is fine when photocopying.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Have you tried cleaning it yet?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No - my instruction book does not tell me how to do this but as we know the black ink is working OK on the photocopier will them make any difference?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Does it come out light/faded at all on the copies?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there is no black ink at all apart from some very faded lines

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is an area on the cartridge that when pushed ink will come out that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Done as you asked but still not working. As I said at the start it is fine if just photocopying - it is when I want copy off my e- mail that the problem occurs. Please note that all cartridges are brand new.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I asked you if the copy was faint and you said "some very faded lines" which would not be fine in a photo copy. Either way, fading of any kind is caused by a hardware issue. Remove the ink and look at the carriage, do you see a bullseye you can push in or a lever/latch you can lift?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok push in on the bullseye or lift the lever whichever you see. That will allow you to remove the print head from the carriage. Remove the print head from the machine. :eave the cartridges out of the machine, Take the print head and soak it in warm water for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes change the water and repeat this, do this until the water is clear. Once done let the print head air dry for 10 minutes. Do not test the printer yet but put both the print head and ink back into it. Once done do this on the control panel before testing, it will get any water that did not dry yet out:

Press Home on the printer control panel.
Press the down arrow button until Maintenance is selected, then press OK.
Press the down arrow until Clean Printhead is selected, then press OK.

Once that is finished try printing this page instead of an email or a photo copy and let me know what comes out. If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry - done everything you said but still the same problem.I printed off a test page which was fine but as soon as I asked it to print from an e-mail there are just a fewvery faded lines

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
As I mentioned instead of printing an email please print this page and tell me what comes out.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

all the colour but faint black

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
There is one last thing we can try before having to replace the print head. Click print like you normally would but do not send the print job. Instead click the properties/preferences button next to the printers name. Look for a "quality" option and change it to highest or best. This will use more ink but that is why it may give you a better print. Once set try printing something again.

If the same thing happens the black nozzle is starting to deteriorate and soon will print completely blank rather than faded. In order to fix it the print head needs to be replaced. Your model uses a #10 print head, this is the cheapest I have found it: Click Here If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Kodak.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have given up and will buy a new printer

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is up to you as I mentioned if none of that worked it would mean the print head needs to be replaced. Your model uses a #10 print head, this is the cheapest I have found it: Click Here If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Kodak.
.