Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Have \canon printer3550 Put in new ink cartridge- would not

Have \canon printer3550 Put in new ink cartridge- would not print. Put second new cartridge in =still will not print. Help please. Am not young and not very printer/ computer literate Thank you
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
What happens when you try to print? How did you clean it?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Blotted printer head inside printer with a tissue

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
What happens when you try to print?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nothing

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I need more than that please, for example is it sending out a blank page, is it not responding to the computer etc.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is not responding to the computer. paper is pulled on to the printer. Printer makes a noise as though it is trying to print

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
It is responding to the computer if it is doing that, what you are describing it is printing a blank page. Please make a copy from the scanner glass so you are not using the computer at all when printing something. Does that come out blank as well?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does not print a scan. triangular and circle symbol on printer are flashing Don't know what they mean

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
They should flash in a pattern like 4 times then a stop and repeat or 3 red 1 green for example. Is it doing that? The pattern would give me an idea of what was wrong. If it shows an error number like b200, c000 that can help as well.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

continuous orange flashing

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is an area on the cartridge that when pushed ink will come out that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doesn't work. Am ready to drop it out of the window!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Did the flashing lights change?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No orange triangle and circular C still flashing

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
That is a bad sign, remove the ink and look at the carriage, is there a latch or lever you can lift? With the ink cartridges out if you have a latch/lever it would allow you to remove the print head.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****dy M. You are a lovely fellow, but I am fed up and cannot try anymore. Thanks for trying yvonne

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You're welcome Yvonne if you change your mind just let me know I would be happy to continue helping you. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****dy I know something you don't. helpful friend told me. I bought replacement Canon cartridges from a local store and not directly from Canon. Canon do not like this and make it impossible to use the printer. BUT if you turn on printer and hold down red triangle within red circle for six seconds slowly-I,ooo, 2,ooo etc. the printer works!

Yvonne

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Thank you for letting me know however you never mentioned you were not using Canon cartridges before now. Generic and refilled cartridges can damage the print head so Canon does everything they can to stop the printer from working with them.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They were labelled Canon cartridges. I am not a mind reader. I thought you might be pleased to know this. Yvonne

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I am glad to hear it, thank you for letting me know I did not mean to sound rude so apologize if it came off that way. I was letting you know that in case it ever happens again. The cartridges can be labelled Canon but be "refills" or "remanufactured" and cause this issue as the machine sees them as generic compatibles.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Forgiven. Kind regards Yvonne