Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a Canon MF8080cw that has stopped printing and has

Customer Question

Hi I have a Canon MF8080cw that has stopped printing and has now shown Chinese writing on the display with the writing E744-4000 at the bottom. I have tried doing a firmware upgrade over LAN and it is saying the printer is offline. Thanks

Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The error message is interpreted variously. It can mean corrupted firmware; it can mean other things.

An update of the firmware is recommended as something to try for this problem.

Get your firmware update (which have two varieties, one for Apple computers and MAC OS X (to run on that platform) and the other for Windows PCs...) from this source:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/color_imageclass_mf8080cw#DriversAndSoftware

- select your computer's operating system, if it is not correctly and automatically detected and selected.
- and scroll down to the bottom, and click once on
Firmware
and then download from there, the appropriate firmware update, and use it on your computer with the printer attached to it, according to instructions very strictly (since any error in details may destroy your printer's function - so be careful.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi the printer is not recognised via USB so cant connect to the firmware like that

The problem is in no way a usual or normal problem, and cannot be fixed except perhaps in a repair depot.

How old is your printer? if less than a year old, its repair would be covered by warranty.

To locate a Canon repair centre in your region of the UK (should you so choose, to have it repaired) go to this page:

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/services_locator/

and enter your local town or city in the search form, then click on the magnifying glass or Search button to locate service centres local to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi its over a year I was hoping for some more information on how to resolve this issue maybe instructions on how to hard reset ?

I don't see that a hard reset would help, but if so:

- with the printer On, unplug it from the power, sharply and suddenly.
- leave it that way, unplugged, for 1/4 hour or more.
- plug in to the power again, turn On if needed.

That will, most likely, have no effect. But it can be tried. What is the result, if any?