Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Canon Pixma MP610 problem! Black ink has ceased printing ...

Canon Pixma MP610 problem! Black ink has ceased printing ... Help!!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
How did you clean the print head? How old is it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy, My MP610 is old! Bought in March 2008. Had print problem in October 2010 with letting Cyan dry out. Followed suggestion found online and flushed with warm water and left to soak. Then blasted with compressed air can. Worked fine, and did the same about a couple of years later. Have now done the same again without success. Had changed large black cartridge only two days before latest problem but installing yet another new cartridge today made no difference. Have been using INKredible (not Canon) cartridges for more than five years. Hope this helps!? Regards, Keith

In June 2012 I got 'ink absorber full' message, but over-rode it by R

eset procedure found on 'Printer Thinker'. Have repeated that procedure today without success.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The absorber is a sponge like pad that sits underneath the carriage on the right side of the machine. That could not cause this problem. Only the black nozzle inside the print head can cause your current problem. Unfortunately you have already done what I would suggest, for a more thorough clean you can soak it in windex/alcohol instead as a last resort. Unfortunately otherwise the print head will need to be replaced, normally they last around 2-3 years so it is amazing yours lasted so long. The part number is ***** and this is the cheapest I have found it: Click Here You are still able to get colour because the print head has separate nozzles for each cartridge and only the black is worn down. Unfortunately you can not replace just a nozzle. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Freddie,
Many thanks for your help and apologies for not replying earlier but away for Easter with family. I made one final try by soaking printhead in meths to no avail. Answer - get a new printer, the old one hardly owes me anything!
Many thanks again for super, speedy and helpful advice. Full marks!
Keith