Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

While I was in the middle of printing a receipt on on my

While I was in the middle of printing a receipt on on my Canon MP970 it stopped and a message said the print head is incorrect. Install correct print head. What should I do please? I am not aware of anything having been changed. Jeremy XXXX

Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Have you tried cleaning the machine yet?
.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
..
..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I replied to your question about cleaning immediately and waited for your answer, which never came. I had other things to do after waiting for 15 minutes for your reply. I had already told you that I had not cleaned the machine. Since then I have tried to clean it with no luck.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please scroll up on the page you never replied. All replies posted are still on this page. If you replied to the email it goes to no one and should actually say that. You need to reply on this page. How did you clean it?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I followed the programme for deep cleaning. After this I received the same message about installing a correct print head.

The photo magenta cartridge is running out and the cyano cartridge is also flashing now. Unfortunately I have discovered my spare cartridges are faulty. I have ordered replacements. Could this be the cause of the problem?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Yes it can however it will usually give an error specific to that cartridge when it happens.
Just in case, Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is an area on the cartridge that when pushed ink will come out that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.
You may need to use the replacement cartridges you ordered to test if the ones you have now are defective.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply. I am still waiting for the two cartridges so that I can follow your instructions with a full set of good cartridges. I hope they will arrive on Monday but I think I would be wasting my time if I were to go ahead before the new ones come.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Take all the time you need. You may get emails asking for replies/ratings unfortunately I can not turn them off. The site sends them off automatically and does not let us have any control over it. You can ignore them if you get any, please just let me know the results when you can.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The new cartridges came this morning .I now have a complete set of Canon cartridges. I cleaned these as instructed, replaced and switched off and ,after 70 secs, on. Same message to install correct print head.

What now?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Remove the ink and look at the carriage? Do you see a latch or lever you can lift? Not all MP models have it so I need you to check. If you do it would release the print head from the carriage so you can remove it.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have removed the cartridge and the only latch or lever I can see is the one that clicks when you push the cartridge into place and use to release it. There is nothing else that looks as if I could click it without doing damage. I am beginning to think this is beyond me and I shall have to let the printer go to a service shop. I don't even know where the print head is.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
The print head is inside the carriage right below the cartridges and as I mentioned not all MP models have a removable one which is why I needed you to check. Here is a picture of both a lever and latch it is possible you will have neither:
http://usa.canon.com/app/images/service_ware/LDImages/SolutionAnswer/MP730/MP730_RemovePrintHead.gifhttp://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/storage/1/kb/attachments/ServiceWareImages/LDImages/SolutionAnswer/MX860/LiftPHLatch.gif
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was looking in the wrong place for the lever. I see now there is a grey plastic lever to the right. I have raised it . The empty "stalls" for the 7 cartridges is loose but I don't see how to release it if we need to get underneath. I am afraid of damaging something.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Inside the carriage remove the piece that looks like this it is the print head, now that the lever is raised it should come right out. The lever releases it from the carriage.

http://www.isscx.com/images/QY6-0062.JPG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got it out and there was dried red ink on one of the contact strips (photo magenta?). I cleaned it off but now I am having difficulty replacing the unit. I am angry with myself for not checking how it fitted before removing.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
We actually want to clean it a different way anyway. Soak it in warm water for 10 minutes and then after that replace the water. Repeat this until after 10 minutes the water is clear. Let it air dry 10 minutes and then test it in the machine again. It fits in the machine like the image I sent you before. Make sure the lever is up before trying to put it in. That image is the print head standing the way it should be inside the carriage. If you get the same error it unfortunately means the print head has failed and needs to be replaced.

This is the cheapest I have found it for your model: Click Here Due to the price of the part some people do decide to replace the machine instead. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

While I was waiting for your reply I found how to replace the object and I am sorry to say went ahead before I had read about the new way to clean. However without doing that I tried a test printing and it worked beautifully. Congratulations. Now I have to shop for some food so I'll postpone the proper cleaning by soaking etc. until I have the time.

Should I also do the prescribed internal cleaning of nozzles?

You have been very good and patient and I'll give you an excellent assessment.

Are you physically in the UK?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I am in the USA a little south of Boston. If the machine is printing properly you do not have to do that cleaning. However if the print comes out a bit faded then I would do it. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.