Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Yellow light keeps flashing

Yellow light keeps flashing
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
I need the entire model number please there should be more that 449 like letters for example. The light should also flash in some sort of pattern, what is the pattern?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

canonMP495USB 2 yell 1 green

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Look at the LED now does it have an error flashing? It should be 3 digits like E 0 1 for example.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

P0 then 2

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Thank you, Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes still there

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Is it the same error 2 flashes and P02?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Remove the ink again and look at the carriage do you see a latch or lever you can lift? Not all MP models have it so I need you to check. If you do it releases the print head from inside the carriage so it can be removed.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i would say no. Although I am no expert at this. I have tried but it

just moves a little from side to side

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The carriage itself does not come out the print head inside it does if you have that. Here is an example of the lever:

//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_usa.canon.com/app/images/service_ware/LDImages/WSSS%252F05SJ00141_EN_02%252F03RQ02454_01.jpg

Here is an example of a latch:
//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/storage/1/kb/attachments%252FServiceWareImages%252FLDImages%252FSolutionAnswer%252FMX860%252FLiftPHLatch.gif

You may not have either unfortunately I need you to check to know for sure.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no. can I COME BACK TO YOU ON THIS AS i HAVE TO DEAL WITH MY HUSBAND

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
No problem you can get back to me by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions at the top.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks Freddie may be 1/2 hour

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome take all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am back Freddie

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok look behind the carriage, do you see a white or clear plastic strip?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes there are three strips running through it

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Please clean those as best you can with a lint free cloth.
Then, Turn the machine off and unplug it.

Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no good H still P O 2 print head moves freely by hand

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is not a good sign, how old is the printer? If over a year old did you happen to get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no was given to me last year from a friend that passed away it has been a really good printer. I would like to know what is wrong though

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The error you have P02 has a general meaning of "improperly seated cartridge" however that is not always the cause. That is just what the error means, if it was the cause the cleanings would have fixed it. When none of that helps assuming you are using genuine Canon cartridges and not generic or used but refilled Canons it means the print head is failing. It is the part you insert the cartridges on top of. On your model it is a carriage assembly since it can not be removed by raising a lever or latch. Without a warranty the part alone normally costs around £60. Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine instead. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience