Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My 4250 printer is new and will be used only from

Customer Question

My 4250 printer is new and will be used only for printing from a memory card. The initial print showed fine on the monitor but when printed the sides of the picture were cut off. I used the same card on another computer and the pic fitted fine. Please advise how to adjust. If not possible manually please advise how that should be done if attached to a computer and used subsequently by memory card.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

(Is your '4250 printer' made by HP, or by Canon, or by some other maker?)

I suspect that you set the printout to 'landscape' when it should have been printed 'portrait'... or perhaps vice-versa (-I cannot tell, owing to your not having mentioned the aspect ratio of the picture, i.e. whether it was taller than broad - portrait-mode appropriate - or broader than tall, landscape-mode appropriate.)

That would certainly be something to check on, when printing from a computer. From a computer, of course, it would be best to use
File - Print Preview
in whatever program you were printing from, in order to get an idea, before printing and before using up ink and paper, as to how the eventual printout will look.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is Canon. It is my wife who will use the printer and she does not "do" computers! I quite understand the answer if there is a way, when returned to memory card only, to choose Portrait or Landscape but I can't see that at the moment so cannot test the result.

Good. I am glad we have gotten this far through the problem already.

There is one thing I need to know before instructing you further: What does 'returning the picture to memory card' mean?

Is the picture no longer on the memory card? or does that phrase reference something else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to be unclear! I simply meant that whatever tinkering I do with the printer if it is attached to my computer, it will end up being used Memory Card only by my wife. The card itself is unchanged. If the printer, when not attached to a computer, is unable to be programmed to change settings such as Portrait and Landscape that is not good news. However without that I can't see how we can prove either way that this is the reason why part of the printed photo is cut off.

OK. What is the aspect ratio of the photo in question? roughly.

(Or does it have no aspect ratio and is it square?)

Also, how did it print out when it was cut off or cropped? portrait mode, or landscape mode?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Question of aspect ratio is beyond me I am afraid. Does the Canon printer have a setting to change from Portrait to Landscape? Whichever mode it would, I would guess, have been the same as on my computer which looks like landscape and where it has printed ok.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am having to leave this for an hour. Is it any help to you to see a scan of the photos and therefore does this system accept attachments?

I am looking up that question.

Aspect ratio means simply whether broader than tall (landscape mode) or taller than broad (portrait mode.)
But if you know the distinction then that's no great matter to the question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Back again. It would seem so simple to decide on the aspect but as the object is a round plate that becomes less obvious. However I am sure that it is landscape.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't think my previous message will have got to you. I have now tried something else which has had a disappointing result. When I printed the picture from the memory card through my computer it was fine. I have now printed it directly from the memory card through that printer a Canon MG5450 and it has printed with the same fault as with Canon 4250 i.e. bits cut off the side. That to me would indicate that there is an embedded problem with the Canon printers when printing from a memory card.

So the cut-off from the side is irregular?

What is the file format of this image? have you tried a test printing, from the memory card, of a standard JPEG or JPG type file from any common one?

Your printer might possibly not support the format. That's why I ask.

(I have tried some research and still found no answer to Landscape vs. Portrait printing from a memory card... I will continue researching.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well perhaps becoming clearer if not more helpful. Printing a regular jpg from the memory card via the printer loses some small amount of the picture on both sides in landscape. The same jpg printed via the computer using Windows Photo Viewer with "Fit to frame" checked produces an identical print. The same jpg printed with "Fit to frame" unchecked produces an accurate print albeit by definition not fully filling a 6 x 4.

This seems to me to suggest that the printers are set by default with "Fit to frame" checked. So now I suppose the question is does a Canon printer allow the user to uncheck the default "Fit to frame"?

..I think that after some research it's safe to say that the setting on Canon PictBridge printers like yours, that is most likely to help with the problem, would be enabling the
Layout = Borderless
setting. Try that.

I am not sure that there are any settings on your printer for either Fit To Frame (which is kind of a computer-web-browser setting) nor for Landscape/Portrait unfortunately.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your endless patience. Whilst some or even most of what has been discovered is not exactly helpful I have always thought that in the end better to know than not know! I will look at the Borderless setting. I have a feeling that it may be set to "borderless" so maybe I will change that and see if like "Fit to frame" it has any effect.

Am signing off now although if a shriek of success reaches you I would be surprised!

Thanks again. Anthony

OK. Good luck.

If you are finished with this question, please rate my best Answer - favorably I would hope - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question. Thanks.
Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com. Please feel welcome to ask another question, at any time, in any one of our numerous categories.