Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

My printer is a Pixma MP610 the screen is showing printer error

My printer is a Pixma MP610 the screen is showing printer error switch off then on again, this I have done several times. There is a prefix 6A00 and tells me to consult the manual,I have never had a manual but went through it on line .
The fault was in the trouble shooting section but not how to clear it .
Can you help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
6A00 is a hardware error related to Purge Unit. Can you please do the following to try to resolve it
1. Please open the printer cover and when the carriage head moves to center pull out the power cord.
2. The Purge unit is on the right side. Use a flashlight and you will see two ink pads. This is where the print-head is PARKED and is the top of the Purge unit.
3. There you will find wiper blades that move from the rear to the front. They wipe the bottom of the print-head when it is parked.
(The ink pads actually drop down about 3/4" to allow the wiper blade to pass and then it is supposed to spring back to the rear. Also the ink suction for cleaning the print-head is done by the purge unit.)
4. Use some rubber gloves and a paper towel and see if you can press the ink pads down just a little bit - about 1/4". See if for some reason the wiper blade is stuck extended, if so see if you can get it unstuck. Please do this gently such that you don't break anything there.
This error indicates that the purge unit is not giving the correct timing signal as it rotates inside 360 degrees. Therefore, something is either broken or jammed inside. If you had a paper jam and tried to forcefully pull it out, you could have pulled the internal gears out of alignment.
So you will need to do some maneouvers to try to release the cartridge from its parking position. Again, don't try hard.
Now, if this does not work than it would be cheaper to buy a new printer rather than sending it to Canon for repair if its not in warranty.
If it is in warranty you can call at +44 (0)844(###) ###-####to organise a replacement under warranty
Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.