adamd-mod
adamd-mod, Just Answer Moderator
Experience:  Just Answer Moderator
74353250

I have bought a Canon MG3550 printer which is supposed to be

Customer Question

I have bought a Canon MG3550 printer which is supposed to be Google Cloud Print ready, but whenever I try to register it with Google I get a "Registration failed" message on the printer remote interface.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for posting your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you today.

Can you tell me, what exact steps you are taking to register the printer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am obtaining the printer's IP address on my Network (either by printing out the Network Information page on my printer, or by inspecting the "Attached Devices" page on my Netgear router. I am then using a web browser to access the printer's Remote Interface, using the local IP address I have determined. I click on Google Cloud Print setup; on the next page I click on Register with Google Cloud Print; on the next page I click on the Yes button; on the next page English is already selected as my chosen language, and I click on the Authentication button. A blank web page opens in another tab on my browser and after a considerable wait it closes again and I get a Registration failed message on the Authentication page. It would appear that the printer is having problems communicating with Google?

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for replying you late. Can you please read the steps from the link below and let me know, if you are following the exact steps or not ?

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=63433
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am following the steps as indicated. (It is interesting that you have obtained a Canon "kb" article that gives the correct method of printing off a network information page, as the on-line manual for the printer gives incorrect information, and the only source I had found of the correct information was a Youtube video.)

What happens is that at step 9 the login page for Google Cloud Print does not appear. What does appear is a page whose URL is <IP address of my printer>/rui/temp.html. Examination of the source of this page reveals that the body has no content, but the head has script tags loading javascript code, (presumably from the printer firmware.) I have, by the way, updated the firmware of my printer to the latest version. I did this after repeatedly failing to register with Google Cloud Print, but the problem persists after the firmware update.

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me, which browsers do you use ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am using Chrome on my iMac to access the RUI of the printer. I have also tried Safari. My wife has a Windows 8 laptop, so I could try using IE (I would have to be really desperate to go down the Microsoft route!)

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Please check it out and reply me back, so that we continue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Exactly the same result with Internet Explorer

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
There is another way of registering your product. Please follow the steps from the link below and let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I5N2pXE7Uo

The printer model may vary , but the steps will be same.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Youtube video you referenced relates to Pixma printers with a built-in display. The MG3500 series do not have a built-in display. Printer settings and registration with Google Cloud Print are effected via a web browser running on a device on the same LAN. For this reason it is impossible for me to follow the steps in the video.

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I forget about the model no. of your printer.I am out of ideas, I will open the question for other experts, so that they can try to help you.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam