Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have an Epson Photo 650 which is giving me three error

I have an Epson Photo 650 which is giving me three error messages 1/ Paper jam, open the scanner unit and remove the paper - there is no paper to remove 2/ press the start button to remove the paper inside. 3/ Paper out, load paper and press the start button. Although there is plenty of paper in the holder, the printer will not load sheet - it makes a start and then pulls the paper sideways. Help please Barrie XXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXX *****@******.***

Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Open the machine as if to change the ink, is the carriage stuck on the right side of its path?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The carriage is on the right hand side of its path, but I cannot tell if it is stuck

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
If it is that could be causing your problem so let's check to be sure.
Open printer so that the cartridge housing is accessible (flip the scanner housing up). Turn printer off.
While printer is off, gently slide cartridge housing to the left about halfway.

Turn printer on. After cartridge housing moves all the way to the right (which it will do on startup), gently push up and back on the housing and continue pressing/gently jiggling as the housing tries to free itself.

Eventually, the housing will snap back to the left which will stop tripping the error message. It can take quite a few tries (I've done it as many as 15 times before seeing results.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to say that I found the cartridge housing impossible to move from its right hand position when the printer was turned off, however when th e print button was pressed it moved back and forth smoothly, but the paper did not load and the paper out message appeared

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
What is the exact and entire message including any numbers it shows right now?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Paper out. Load paper and press the Start button

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Please remove all paper from the machine and turn it off.
If you have any canned air duster or similar blow out the feed path as best you can.

Load a single sheet of paper only and turn on the machine.
Press the start button and see what it does.

If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated..
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done that and it won't load the paper - it looked almost as if the rollers had wheel spin.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Can you explain that a little more please? I am not sure what you mean.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry! The paper starts to load but only about one tenth of the paper gets into the rollers before it fails to load.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is not a good sign, can you try the same steps again with a thick sheet like card stock?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Exactly the same thing has happened with a single sheet of card

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I was afraid of that, how old is the machine? If over a year old did you happen to get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately no. It has worked hard for several years and is obviously getting old like me, so it looks like its time to part company Many thanks for your help

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and if you would like I would be happy to help you find a replacement. I personally would go with an Epson WF series as they are currently the best on the market. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Epson.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's very helpful - which of these WF Epsons do you recommend for me - not the most expensive please. Remember I live out in the country side in South Shropshire

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Actually all of them are pretty good so I would suggest looking here to decide: Click Here
If you want a specific one to look at I would go with this one: Click Here

That one is older so it is cheaper than the newer ones but should still be just as reliable.
Most tech stores carry WF models now as well. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Epson.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience