Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My Canon Pixma MP560 has gone random! Although it was switched

My Canon Pixma MP560 has gone random! Although it was switched on and connected by USB, the computer (Asus all-in-one on Windows 8.1) said it wasn't online. Then it flicked from on to off and back many times, and kept printing out single blank sheets although there is nothing in the print queue. I cancelled the printing on the computer, but it kept on printing out random blank sheets.
I tried photocopying, which it did, in between the blank sheets. I tried scanning which it tried to do, but failed and tried to cancel without success.
At this point I switched it off.... I have reloaded the necessary driver from the Canon website which made no difference.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Have you tried cleaning the machine yet?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddie

No I haven't tried cleaning it. Which bits and what with? Being 65 and NOT a tech person at all I wouldn't know where to start unless someone tells me! Then I'm quite capable...

Replacing a part is probably cheaper than replacing the whole printer, and I know a man who could probably do it for me, so no problem there.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.
If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rrating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have cleaned it and replaced two cartridges. The computer still says it's offline. Hasn't started flicking - yet...

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please try a photo copy and see if it comes out blank. We need to resolve it printing blanks before anything else.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Photocopying is fine

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok originally you said it was blank as well. What version of windows or mac is on the computer? How is the printer connected to the computer?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not blank photocopying.

Started printing lots of blank sheets individually when there was nothing in the print queue. Had to switch it off to stop! Hasn't done that again yet.

Also failed to complete a scan, twice. Said it was cancelling but didn't complete that either.

Windows 8.1

USB cable. I've never activated the wireless function cos printer lives next to computer.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hold down the windows key between alt and ctrl on the left side of the keyboard.
While holding it down tap the R key.

Type in services.msc and click on ok.
In the window that opens find print spooler and click on it.
You will have it or you would not have a que but it can be hard to find.

In the window that opens from there click the stop button.
Wait 60 seconds and then click the start button.

Disconnect and reconnect both ends of the USB cable.
Now test the machine, I suggest printing this page to do so.

If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience