Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a MP230 printer that has had the black cartridge removed

Customer Question

I have a MP230 printer that has had the black cartridge removed for over a week while I got it refilled and having left the top up during that time the cartridge holders went back and now refuse to come out so I can install the fresh cartridge.
I have tried switching it on and off with the black , colour and stop/re-boot switches all being pressed at different times ( the latter for 5 seconds+, more than 3 times) with the scanner lifted and closed but nothing happens other than the paper feed rollers rotating and what sounds like the jets being cleaned in preparation for printing, but still no appearance of the cartridge holders!!
Thanks for any help.
Regards,Nigel.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.

Turn the machine off and unplug it.
Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Freddy, the cartridge retaining top clip had sprung up and I managed to slide a thin steel rule over it to hold it down while I pulled the carriage assembly out (it was jammed by the aforementioned until) and install the ink.

I mend all sorts of things up to and including Combine harvesters but always better to ask before damaging delicate stuff like this. I bought this new and another previously off Amazon for about £18 some time ago but they're not there now, so pleased its working again, Cheers!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.

.
I am glad to hear it's working again please don't forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

I also suggest keeping an eye on the carriage assembly, the strip behind it could cause this. If it does just make sure to clean the strip as best you can with a lint free cloth.