Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

pixma mx895 printer, printing ok, left few minutes went

pixma mx895 printer, printing ok, left for a few minutes went to print and although cartridge went to and fro as normal nothing on the paper and nothing since, all instructions accepted from computer but still plain paper, any suggestions please, Yvonne.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
How did you clean it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

only by using printer directions

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is an area on the cartridge that when pushed ink will come out that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

problem still there, nothing at all

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Did it show even slight improvement? Please print this page to test.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

printing paper is as clean as it went in, can use it again

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok please make a copy from the scanner glass so the computer is not used at all, does that come out blank?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Remove the ink and look at the carriage with the ink out of it. Do you see a latch or lever you can lift?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do you mean the long lever that clicks down on the cartridge holder (long grey?)

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That could be it yes, lifting it should release the print head that sits under the cartridges.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes ok have removed print head

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok good, take the print head only and soak it in warm water for 10 minutes. Repeat this after 10 minutes with fresh water. Repeat this every 10 minutes until the water is clear afterwards. Then let it air dry for 10 minutes. Do not test it but put it and the ink back into the machine. Run the built in cleaning you used originally once and then test it. If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry no difference

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is not a good sign, how old is it? If over a year old did you happen to get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is only a couple of years old and no i don't have an extended warranty, caught out this time, thanks for all your help

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unfortunately in order to fix this the print head would need to be replaced. Without a warranty the part can be expensive and it is usually cheaper to replace the machine itself. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.