Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

I have a canon pixma 6350 printer. It has been fine up to

I have a canon pixma 6350 printer. It has been fine up to now. Yesterday I photocopied an A4 document and a black band was printed down the left side of the document. This also happens when I scan a document, but not when I print from the laptop or ipad. I can't work out what has gone wrong. Susan
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Can you tell me if this happens only from the glass, or only from the ADF (auto feeder), or both?
Is the band perfectly straight and of even width, or does it vary in thickness?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nathan, it happens when I place a document on the glass and use the printer to ask it to scan or copy. When I instruct the printer to scan from my laptop the print preview shows the band.I am not aware that I have an auto feeder! The band is straight and of even width 1.5 cm.
Susan
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** confirming. Not all of these models do have a feeder, some have just the glass. Since it happens from the glass, and is all the way down the page, and also even, that unfortunately means that this is a defect in the image ccd scan head. Essentially, there is a wide bar that passes over the page to be scanned/copied. That bar is like a big wide lens, with lots of tiny cameras in it. The area that is coming out black is a spot on that bar where the camera/sensor part has failed. There is unfortunately really no fix for that, there isn't a reset button or setting that would resolve this, the printer would have to be taken apart and that entire image head (and possibly the logic board that controls it) would have to be replaced. This particular issue is not a common one, but for a 2012 model, it is at the end of its 3 year service life, so even if this had not failed at this point, you'd still be facing other end of life issues such as failing printhead, purge assembly, etc in the near future. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the scan head, which costs about $125; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. Depending how you'd like to proceed though, I can try to help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards,Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** not waste my time any more, but will look for a new printer. Susan