Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

Good Evening I have a Canon MP530 printer/scanner which I

Customer Question

Good Evening
I have a Canon MP530 printer/scanner which I bought in 2007. Earlier today I switched it on at the wall plug and then on the button on the machine. It was plugged into the computer by cable.
The 530 started up normally. I pressed the button for the rear paper feed tray and heard the beep as it changed.
I went to an item on the computer and pressed 'Print' and was presented with the error message saying 'Printer offline'.
On checking the printer was still plugged in to the computer but was 'dead'.
I checked all the connections which appeared in order but there was no life in the machine.
I removed all the cables/plugs and tried again a short time later but no response. It appears no power getting to the on/off button .
I changed the fuse in the mains power plug but to no effect.
Can you offer any advice please?
David G
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, most likely a faulty internal power supply or logic/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, because it is an 8 year old machine, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising,
as they are designed and built for only a 3 year service life.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the mains
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the power supply, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.
Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.
Best regards,
Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Nathan

I will try what you suggest. If it does not work I can buy a new MG6650 tomorrow for £79.99.

Thanks again

David

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome, David, and best of luck to you. Personally, I'd recommend the epson workforce series printers, they tend to be a lot more reliable than the canon printers which have gone down considerably in quality the past few years. Epson PrecisionCore WorkForce WF-2650WF Colour All-in-One Printer with WiFi (Print/Scan/Copy/Fax) (click or view at http://amzn.to/1DQwbSX ) If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/ Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan