Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My hp deskjet f2280 keep flashing, suck paper in halfway,

Customer Question

My hp deskjet f2280 keep flashing, suck paper in halfway, will not print.
Can you help?
Emmanuel
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Does the printer show any message, when the paper is in halfway? or at least, any pattern to the lights on it (On, or flashing) ?

What program on your computer are you trying to print to the HP printer from?

Do you have an Apple computer, that you print from to the printer? or is it a Windows PC?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Russell.

Yes, it is showing Error.

I am not on any program as I am only doing copy work on it.

I have a Dell computer, I am using window 7.

Emmanuel

If you are copying on it, then what paper gets half-way in and then stops?

A: The original that is being copied ?

B: or the blank paper stock that is being copied upon ?

If A., then it is presumably a problem with the paper position/presence sensor in the ADF feeder on top of the printer. It may be jammed, or broken, etc. It may mean the printer needs repairing. In the meantime, try copying from the glass sheet instead of through the feeder - if it is just a sensor, that ought to work fine, if rather more slowly than if the feeder were working.

If B., then that's a different sort of problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The blank paper that is being copied upon

OK, that is a blank paper jam. Remove the paper tray, remove the paper stack from the tray, and put the paper stack back into the tray, making sure the paper guides are snugged up against the sides of the paper stack... riffle the paper to make sure pages are not stuck together.
Put the tray firmly, but properly, back in its place, and make sure it fits right.

Try again.

If it still sticks similarly, you may need to do a paper feed roller cleaning, as follows:

If the problem might possibly be owing to aging roller surfaces (for paper is fed into printers with rubber or plastic cylindrical rollers, that propel the sheet into or through the machine)... then you might need to clean the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not happening.

Remove all paper from the machine, unplug it, and open it (remove the paper tray again) so as to have access to the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not being done properly.
Take a clean high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol and, reaching into the printer, rub the rollers firmly all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over.

(If the rollers are hard to reach, there is another way to clean them... let me know if that is the case, and I will detail how to do the cleaning.)

Allow 5+ minutes for drying-off, then reload the paper, close up the machine where you opened it up, and then try again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have cleaned the roller with the cleaning solution I bought for cleaning laptop with the lint supplied with it, but the problem remain the same.

What I noticed was that the colour ink light come up first followed by the black ink light.

The jam paper also roll out easily and smoothly as soon as I off the power.

I am puzzled by the symptoms that you mention. All I can say at this point is that the printer probably needs repair/servicing - or replacement, if you choose. If the HP printer is less than a year old, don't hesitate to contact HP USA and put in a failed-within-warranty claim on the printer, for free under-warranty repairs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The HP printer is over a year old.

Are you now saying that you cannot help, if so, can you return my £11.oo please.

Emmanuel

Well - are you using normal-type paper, or what type (and size) are you using?
Also, what tray are you placing this paper in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am using the normal type A4 copy paper from Staples.

I am placing the paper on the original tray that come with the HP F2280 All in one printer.

Emmanuel

That is important information - thanks. I think that, if you are copying or printing onto A4 sized paper, then you need to check *all* places in your software that have a Paper Size setting, to make sure *all* are set to A4 paper, not 'Letter' and not 8.5 by 11, etc.This includes especially, the Paper Size setting in your software, and the Paper Size setting in your printer's driver on your computer.(To get instructions about the Paper Size setting in your printer's driver, let me know whether your computer is a Windows PC, or an Apple computer. Thanks.)