Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Good morning, I have a HP Photosmart Plus B210 printer. It

Good morning, I have a HP Photosmart Plus B210 printer. It is displaying a message that we need to clear a paper jam. This we have done but the message remains and the printer does not pick up paper when we try to print?
any advice?
J
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.Have you tried cleaning the machine yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not really but it does not look dirty or clogged up in anyway. How might I clean it?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
It may not look dirty but dust can cause these types of problems. The best way to clean it is to used canned air duster. Remove all paper from the machine. Then blow out all paper feed areas 3 or 4 times with that. After you have load only a single sheet of paper and try printing a blank page. If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy, I have tried that and it did not work. I could hear the whirring of the printer (as it was doing previously) as if it was trying to pick up the paper and pull it into the printing area, but to no avail.

J

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please repeat that and try pushing the single sheet in a bit by hand, does it pick up and pull through?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi Freddy, tried again and we got a 'paper jam' message on the screen of the computer. The printer itself did not even make a noise of any kind.

I am thinking the printer has some form of mechanical or some other kind of significant failure and even the printer error display window is not changing status in any way.

J

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That is possible which is why I wanted you to try feeding it through blank instead of a normal print. How old is the machine? Instead of printing from the computer please try making a copy from the scanner glass so the computer is not used at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy, the printer is a bout 4 years old I think

I have tried making a copy but cannot get back to main option menu on the printer display, we are locked into the 'paper jam' message.

Is buying a new printer a better idea than getting one repaired? I can imagine a call out fee of £30-50 for an engineer plus parts.....I can get quite a good new one for £70 upwards.

J

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Darn, I was afraid you would say something like that. Unfortunately at that age it is usually cheaper to replace the machine. The reason I asked was if you still had a warranty this is normally covered. The labour charge for this is actually more than £30-50. It is £50 on the low side and up to £65 normally per hour. From what you are describing the feeder would need to be replaced and the part itself normally costs around £75. Due to this some people do indeed decide to replace the machine instead. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your HP.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience