Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

I have a Xerox Phaser 6600 colour laser printer attached to

Customer Question

I have a Xerox Phaser 6600 colour laser printer attached to my home network and I would like to know how to get the best quality of photographic prints from it. I have no need for commercial quality output, but my prime need is to be able to produce contact sheets (holding 4x3 small images to an A4 sheet) for magazine submissions of my photos.
Thanks in advance,
Tony
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Is it connected to the windows 7 computer? If it is connected any others what version of windows or mac is on those?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a Broadband contract with BT. The printer is connected via Ethernet to the router, BT HomeHub 5. I have two PCs connected in the same way to the router. Both run Windows 7. One is a Dell desktop, the other a Sony laptop. I also have a Mac Mini connected by Wifi to the router. I am not very familar with MacIntosh PCs, but I think it works under OSX9. I only use that machine in connection with my TV for such things as streaming video and playing DVDs.There is one more wired connection to the router, that being my wood pellet boiler, an Austrian ETA device. This enables me to control the boiler when I am away from home. It is not sophisticated, simply allowing me to switch the boiler on or off via the internet.

The network works well, as far as I can tell.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok when printing from the windows computers when you click print do not send the job right away. Instead click on properties/preferences next to the printers name. Then choose the best or highest option under the quality setting here. Do not choose fastest as that is normally the worst. On the Mac you would do the same thing except you can usually skip clicking properties/preferences it usually opens right up to a preview with those already showing on the right side. If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That was all pretty obvious and I have done all that, as I indicated in my initial posting. What I am looking for here is some specific advice for the printer that I have not some bread and butter stuff that applies to any printer. And as I indicated earlier, I am not interested in running this thing from my Mac, only my Windows machines.

My main problem is that the contact sheets show bright colours as too bright and paler tones looked washed out. There is also a bit of a colour cast towards the red. At present I have produced nearly acceptable copies by adjusting settings in the Image Options tab as follows: the lightness is set to minus 40 and the Colour Correction to 'Automatic'. Under Colour Correction, I have two other options, one is 'None' and the other is 'Vivid colour'. My photoshop colour settings are Adobe RGB. The problem exists because there is no clear guidance from Xerox about these adjustments (and there are others I can make, mainly regarding paper types but they do not seem to have a significant impact) and no sign of any becoming available. The manual is not at all forthcoming.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok you are looking for color calibration then I will opt out for someone else to try and help you with that because as far as I know that is not really possible on these models. That is probably why you are not fiding it in the guides.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I look forward to receiving help from your colleague

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can provide you with additional assistance. There is color registration available of the hardware itself. There is an automatic color registration, but if you need to do a manual registration, you can do that as well. There are complete instructions in the manual that I've uploaded for you. I'm assuming that this is not the same manual that you have, but if it is I do apologize. The color registration instructions begin on page 126http://bitli.es/7lL6DK