Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

How to replace ink cartridge on Epson XP-510

Customer Question

how to replace ink cartridge on Epson XP-510
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.I advise you to use Epson OEM-original cartridges, of the right sort for your printer, rather than refills or 'compatible' cartridges. They tend to have better results, and this can obviate some severe problems from happening.As to the replacement procedure:- if your printer's screen says Press OK to replace cartridges, press OK.- then, open the scanner / top of the printer:https://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/nx510_/nx510_00ug/images/ink.12.7.3.jpg- then open the cartridge cover on the carriage.- then squeeze the tab on the back of the cartridge you want to replace, to release it. Lift it up and out of the printer.- take the new cartridge, and do the following:1. take it out of packaging.2. shake the cartridge several times, then remove the yellow protective tape.3. ...while doing this, do not touch the underside where the 'chip' or 'nozzles' is/are. Do not touch the electrical contacts (usually coppery-colored) either.4. put the cartridge into place, and push it down until it clicks into place:https://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/nx510_/nx510_00ug/images/ink.12.7.10.jpg5. its light may flash for a while... this is normal enough.6. close the cartridge cover over all the cartridges. Push it down until it clicks into place.7. close the top / scanner cover of the machine, over the cartridge bay etc.8. Press OK to let the ink start 'charging'... in 2 minutes or so, it should be done and you can print again / copy / etc. with the printer. If this answers your question adequately, please rate my Answer favorably - so that I may be paid. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

printer screen does not say "press ok "to replace cartridge. The message that ink is low is on my PC connected wirelessly to my printer scanner

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK. Ink being low, check the ink levels, and see if it is reported as such, using your computer's printer software.If ink is low, be warned: if you remove a cartridge, it generally cannot be used any more.If ink is low not 'out', then you will get a 'Press OK' prompt. Otherwise, you begin the replacement somewhat differently, but end it the same way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to replace the cartridge! the bank of cartridges remains on the right hand side of the printer/scanner not allowing access to the cartridges. They need to move to the left?!

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
With the printer On, open the cover over the cartridge bay interior to the printer.Wait a bit.If the cartridge carrier does not move into reach by itself, your printer has a problem. Turn it Off for 15+ minutes, and then see if it works properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is no cover over the cartridges. they remain on the right hand side. Very visible but with no access to them. They need to move to the right! perhaps we are looking at different versions of the printer/scanner.

JB

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
When I said 'open the cover over the cartridge bay interior to the printer, I meant: Lift up the part of the printer that is on top and that contains the scanner that does the photocopying. After you do that, where are the cartridges? to the right of the bay, out of sight of the open bay area to the right, to the left, to the center of the bay, or out of sight to the left ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russell
Sorry I meant they appear to need to,move to the left!
They are visible to the right. The colour cartridges are visible, but cannot be lifted out individually or collectively. there appears to be a blue tab that needs to be pressed to release each cartridge but access is denied by a fixed flap. This "flap" is cut away to the left if only I could move the cartridges there!
The bottom of each cartridge (i.e the end nearest me) has the word " push" but pushing this end does nothing with the cartridges in their present position
I know you are trying to help and I am certain it is frustrating for both of us.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Try turning the printer Off, while the top cover is open to reveal the cartridge bay.Then see if gently pressure will suffice to move the cartridge carrier to the left and out into the open. If it does not, do not force it, or you might well break something. Let me know what happens, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannot move the cartridge carrier.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Then unfortunately the printer will need to be either repaired, or else replaced, it seems. Having a carriage (/cartridge carrier) badly jammed signifies that, basically, I'm sorry to say.

How old is the Epson printer in question?
If less than a year old, it is under warranty from Epson still, and would be repaired for free as such.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will phone Epson help desk
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I hope they can help, but I suspect there's not much that can be done. Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It took one minute to sort!!

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad to hear that it turned out well. I'd care to hear what the solution to this problem was.