Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

How do I reset my Canon PIXMA 4150 Printer?

Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. There is no reset and B200 is a very serious error. The only reset these models have is to be turned off and left off for 60 seconds. Have you cleaned the machine yet?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I copied some documents earlier today, with no problem. The problem occurred when I tried to print off a letter.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That does not change anything and it seems you missed my reply so here it is again just in case:

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I need a new part, how do I go about finding out which, or will it be cheaper to buy another printer? This one is only about 18 months old.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
As I just mentioned we would need to troubleshoot to find out, I can not answer this without doing that. I also need the answer to the question I sent you in that reply.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I haven't cleaned the inside.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok let's start with that then.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is an area on the cartridge that when pushed ink will come out that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The ink cartridges are stuck at the right hand side, so I cannot get at them.

Am I missing something, or do I need to do something else?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Actually them being stuck could be the cause of the error.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.

Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

slid them accross several times. They moved easily enough although with a feeling of resistance, but have 'parked' themselves back in the far right position, ie further right than normal, so I cannot get at them.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
They should move over to you when the machine is on and opened. Move them over again and then look inside on the right with a flashlight. Make sure there are no small buts of paper or anything else stuck on the far end inside. Then clean the plastic strip attached to the back of the carriage with a lint free cloth and repeat the previous steps. Even if it moves over to the right again, test the machine after that.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

triangular orange light still flashing.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You never mentioned that before only the B200 error. How many times does it flash? It should be in a pattern like 5 orange 1 green up to something like 20 orange flashes short pause repeat.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ten flashes then a short pause, then ten more. No green flashes.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Open and close/pull out and push back all paper trays then hold the resume/cancel button for 10 seconds. Then see if anything changes. If it does not how old is your machine? If over a year old did you get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no change, still flashing. From memory it is between 12 and 18 months old.

I would have to dig out my paperwork, but don't think I got an extended warranty.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The factory warranty only lasts a year but an extended one can last up to 3 so I would check. From what you have told me the logic board is failing and needs to be replaced. The B200 alone could have been a jam or print head issue. But with the carriage not moving, and the 10 flashes which is a tray error something else is wrong. The board can cause all 3 issues at once. Without a warranty however it is normally cheaper to replace the machine than it is to fix. The part alone normally costs about the same as replacing the machine with a used one not including any labour. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help. Although I have been unable to fix it, even with your help, at least I know what it is likely to be, and I will check my file before I march off and get another one.

Thanks again

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and if you would like me to I would be happy to help you find a replacement if you do not have an extended warranty. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've bought a new printer.