Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My Cannon MP550 has stopped working. I have checked and it

My Cannon MP550 has stopped working. I have checked and it is connected. I have also changed the fuse in the plug, but it still does not work. All I hear when switching it on is a bang and the printer ink tries to move. I then get a message to say 'printer error has occurred. Turn off power, then back on again'
This I have done.
I have tried to look at the manual, but this doesn't really help a complete idiot like myself.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. The error should have a code or number as well, what is that code?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I replied a few days ago the code is 5100. When might I expect a reply

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
There is no reply on this page, if you replied to the email it does not go to anyone. They will only get to me if you reply on this page. Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is an area on the cartridge that when pushed ink will come out that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Afraid it didn't work. When switched on the ink carriage moved across and back making a clicking/banging noise.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.
Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That didn't work. The printer head moved OK, but slightly stiff, put this down to the fact the machine was switched off. When I turned the machine back on the same noises were heard and the original message shown.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Was the number still 5100 or did that change?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it is still 5100

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok next behind the carriage you just moved there should be either a white or clear plastic strip. Some machines will have both. Clean that as best you can with a cloth and then repeat the last steps I gave you.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, cleaned the plastic strip and repeated the last step. Still no good and the message remains 5100.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn, that is a bad sign. How old is it? If over a year old did you happen to get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh dear, don't like the sound of your reply !!!!

Don't buy extended warranties and in any case it would be well outside that as I bought the machine on 4/8/10.

That means a new one I presume, with the loss of my stock of ink cartridges.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unfortunately your error is a line feed error which can be caused by a jam, that strip being dirt, the carriage assembly needing to be replaced, or a board failure. From what you are telling me the assembly would need to be replaced. Although I really hate to tell you this without a warranty it is usually cheaper to replace the machine. These machines all use the same ink:

Canon All-in-One MachinesPIXMA MP540, PIXMA MP550, PIXMA MP560, PIXMA MP620, PIXMA MP630, PIXMA MP640, PIXMA MP980, PIXMA MP990, PIXMA MX860, PIXMA MX870
Canon Inkjet PrintersPIXMA PMFP1, PIXMA PMFP3, PIXMA SFP1, PIXMA SFP2, PIXUS MP610, PIXUS MX860
Canon Photo PrintersPIXMA iP3600, PIXMA iP4600, PIXMA iP4700

The Mx870 for example is a newer model so you may be able to find that in order to use your cartridges. I believe it is also still sold online. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help. Will look for the printers mentioned, especially the MX870.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to bother you again. I don't have WiFi my computer runs on a USB. Will this make a difference as to which printer I pick. Don't want to buy one that isn't suitable.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
No it shouldn't most printers that have WiFi also have a USB option.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will have to go for an MG. Cannot see any MP's. on the web.

Take care and thanks for your very much appreciated help