Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have an HP Deskjet 840c which performs well but when not

I have an HP Deskjet 840c which performs well but when not in use, a blob of ink covers the cartridge head and inhibits printing. Previously I was getting ink leaking onto the desk that the printer sits on.
I thought that the leaking problems was due to the remanufactured cartridges, but a different make gives the same problem. This appears to indicate that the problem is with the printer. When I dab a tissue into the right hand side it come out saturated with ink.
What do you think is wrong?
Many thanks,
Fred
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. When it does print what comes out?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy,

I can't give you any more info than I have. My problem is that having thought the issue was with the cartridges leaking, I now feel that the problem is with the printer. It is old. but if I bother to wipe the cartridge head before printing, the print quality is fine. Is the cartridge sitting in a pool of ink and picking up that ink? But why is there so much?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
It seems like you missed my reply so here it is again just in case:
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm confused! My reply to you is above. I also get confused with the invitation to join a monthly scheme, which I do not want. I merely want your expertise.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Your reply does not answer what I asked it just repeats your question.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I don't clean the cartridge head before printing, I get either a blank sheet or one that appears to indicate that the cartridge is out of ink. If I do clean the head then I get a perfectly acceptable sheet of print.

As mentioned earlier, the are where the cartridges come from is saturated in ink.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
How are you cleaning the machine?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't clean the machine! I only dabbed a tissue into the area on the right where the cartridges sit when I was disappointed to find the same problem with with new cartridge.

If I SHOULD be cleaning the machine, how do I do it? It seems I am loosing a lot of ink to the machine when not in use.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is an area on the cartridge that when pushed ink will come out that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy,

This may take some time. Please can you just confirm that the problem is with the machine and that I should have been cleaning out the "reservoir" more frequently. Looking in to the right, there is a grey "piece" that seems to be on a spring clip. does that come out for cleaning?

Fred

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Take all the time you need. The issue is with the machine yes and I actually gave you steps to clean the print head. The waste ink tank should only be cleaned out when the machine has an error for it. It also would not cause the cartridges to leak but the print head could which is what the ink cartridge sit on top of in the machine and is part of the carriage. If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Freddy, But sorry to be "thick". Where is the print head on the printer? This seems to be the critical area to deal with. Though a lot of ink seems to be in the reservoir area to right, I have never been given an error message to clean.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
The part on the right you are referring to is the waste ink tank it is what catches any ink that does not make it to the paper. The print head is part of the carriage and is what the ink cartridges sit inside of. Cleaning the entire carriage the way I sent you before will clean the print head. If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy,

Sorry for the length of time to get back to you. I've now given the printer a good clean. I'm convinced that the problem lies with the amount of ink sitting in the trays (especially the black). Indeed that whole area was saturated.

A test print was fine, but before I can say "success" I need to wait until the cartridges have been sitting in the trays and whether they are "clean" or saturated at next print. This can take a couple of hours.

How long can you wait for a conclusive reply?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You can take all the time you need. It can sometimes take up to 3 cleanings this way before you see it get fully better so if the same thing happens repeat the cleaning.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Fred

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy,

So far so good, but as I've said the key to this being a success is if by tomorrow I find that the cartridge head is not blocked with coagulated ink.

For that reason I need to wait until tomorrow before contacting you again and of course marking your success level.

I do not want to stay online until then. How do I get back to you?

Fred

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You can get back to me by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions at the top.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do. I'll log off now.

Fred

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok Fred.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Freddy. After a night of non use the cartridge head is 85% clean, so it looks as if the cleaning of the tray has done the trick. As you say, it may take another couple of cleans to be 100%.

I'm now able to mark your assessment.

Many thanks,

Fred

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I am glad to hear it please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience