Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

My Epson Expression Home XP-102 printer has been indicating

My Epson Expression Home XP-102 printer has been indicating that it has a PAPER JAM for weeks, and the Power and Paper Lights keep flashing. I have tried many times to clear the jam, but without success. I have powered off the printer and have removed the power and data cables overnight on a number of occasions. At no stage have I found any paper or foreign object within the printer, so I am inclined to think the sensor must be faulty. What should I do?"
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
this may be the case but first, can you try to put a piece of card through the printer as this will clear out any paper that may be lodged inside. Tell me if you are able to do this please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried to put a piece of card through the printer in the ordinary way, first by itself and then on top of a fill of paper, but I have had no success either way.

When you say "put a piece of card through the printer", do you mean in the ordinary way, with the printer drawing the card through itself, or do you mean pushing the card manually? If you mean the latter, I do not know how to do it.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes in the ordinary way, but if its not accepting it then that step wont be possible,
Can you try to turn disconnect it from the power, then open the printer, turn it upside down and try to shake it to dislodge any paper that may be stuck inside of it.
Let me know if you able to clear the error this way please David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in replying to your most recent Answer. I had to break off to have lunch and to collect my wife from her training course.

Before breaking off, I disconnected the printer from the power, and then opened it, turned it upside down and shook it to try to dislodge any paper that might have been stuck inside it. As far as I could see, nothing fell out of it. Unfortunately, my grip on it slipped and it broke apart, but I think I have successfully put it together again! I hoped that the accidental breaking apart might have cured its apparently false indication of a PAPER JAM, but it is still showing a PAPER JAM.

What do you suggest next?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks David
If there is no paper in it, then it is a sensor that has faulted. We have confirmed this.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.