Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have had a Pixma MG5250 time. It has suddenly come

I have had a Pixma MG5250 for some time. It has suddenly come up with a code B200 and advises me to contact the service centre. What do I do now.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. How old is it? Does the carriage even try to move?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think it is 3 years old. The carriage does not move at all.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.
Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did what you said. The printer attempted to calibrate the carriage but then moved it completely to the right and the error message came up again

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You may have to move it over manually again but, Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have replaced the Cyan cartridge which was low and cleaned all the others as you said but it is still showing the B200 code.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
That is not a good sign, do you know how to remove the print head? Did you happen to get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The answer is no to both questions

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Remove the ink and look at the carriage, is there a latch or lever you can lift?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only lever I can find is one that seems to clamp the cartridges in position.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please check this video but do not do the cleaning just remove the print head: Click Here
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The print head is removed

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok now with it out restart the printer does the error change?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it now says install the print head

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok please reseat the print head, does it change to B200 or does it ask for ink?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has gone back to B200

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Darn, that is not a good sign. That means you most likely have a bad print head that needs to be replaced. B200 can be caused by either the print head or the logic board. Sometimes it is just a jammed or dirty print head which is why I gave you the two things we tried originally first. If it is the board usually removing the print head the B200 error remains.

However it is possible for them to fail at the same time when that happens you will replace the print head and the error will come back. That would mean the board itself has failed as well and needs to be replaced. Without a warranty this can be expensive so some people do decide to replace the machine instead. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well thanks for trying. You've been very helpful to an old man who is not particularly computer literate. I'll look for another printer.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You're welcome and if you would like I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience