Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

8 yrs ago I bought a CanoScan Lide 60 scanner & connected it

8 yrs ago I bought a CanoScan Lide 60 scanner & connected it to a (then new) computer running XP. I have just bought a new computer running Windows 8.1 & have tried to connect the scanner using the set-up CD ROM that came with the scanner. During the installation I got the message "this is only for 32 bit word". After installation I could not run the scanner because "unable to open TWAIN source". Is there a solution to run the old scanner with new computer?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.The newest drivers Canon has for your model is for windows 7, sometimes those will work on windows 8. Please note however it is possible they will not work meaning the scanner is incompatible with windows 8. To try the 7 driver install this: Click Here If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm unwilling to download s/w that is specifically designed up to Windows 7 in the hope it might work on Windows 8.1. I think the best solution is to buy a new scanner. Thank you for your time.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unfortunately since Canon never released a windows 8/8.1 driver for this model that is the only way but I understand you wanting to replace it instead. If you would like me to I would be happy to help you find a replacement. You may also want to wait until windows 10 comes out since it is a free upgrade on 8.1 to replace the scanner. That way you can get something you know works on 10 as well. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.