Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a HP printer Photosmart C5180 All in one The yellow

I have a HP printer Photosmart C5180 All in one
The yellow cartridge was low and I have replaced it with a new on.
However the printer does not recognise this and continues to tell me to change the cartridge. I can therefore not print in colour.
Help!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Is it a genuine HP ink cartridge?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Is it refilled? Does the old cartridge do the same thing?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is new cartidge

The old one gets the same response

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Have you tried cleaning the machine yet? If you did, how did you clean it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

How do I do this?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I should switch the computer of first before switching off the printer. Correct?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
No you do not need to do anything on the computer, is the error only showing on the computer? If it is try make a copy from the scanner glass so the computer is not used at all and let me know what happens.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The error only shows on the computer.

I am not sure what you are telling me to do

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Make a xerox type copy from the scanner glass on the printer. Doing this you are not using the computer at all. Let me know what the printer does.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has made a colour copy fine

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok then the computer is the problem what version of windows or mac is on the computer? Did you restart the computer after changing the ink?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows 7

I did try a restart this morning. Made no difference

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok that could mean the software is corrupted then since the printer itself is fine.
Click on the windows start button and in the search box type printers and press enter. (if there is not search box click on control panel and then printers)

Right click on your machine and any copies of it and click on delete. Then disconnect the cable connecting it to the computer. (if using a cable if not skip any cable steps)

You will need to restart the computer, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page. Restart the computer and reinstall the printer.

Only connect the usb cable when the computers asks you to or when the installation is finished. Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no Delete option. Would "Remove Device" be correct?

What do you mean by "Re9nstall printer" before connecting the usb cable?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Remove device would work, you can delete by pressing delete on the keyboard when it is highlighted as well. I meant reinstall as in, run the disc thate came with it. If you do not have that use this download instead: Click Here It is the same thing as running the disc.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much I will try that later

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and please let me know the results when you can.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Please do not reply until then this site forces me to be the last to reply on the page.
.