Shefin
Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

Canon Pixma MP 499 The fault read out says Absorber nearly

Canon Pixma MP 499
The fault read out says Absorber nearly full
Can I do anything about this. If so how?
***** *****don
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please try the following.

1) Close the print head cover, and turn off the printer. While pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press the Power button. (Do not release the buttons. The LED lights in green to indicate that a function is selectable.)

2) While holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (Do not release the Power button.)

3) While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button three times, and then release the Power and Resume/Cancel buttons. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights alternately in either orange or green, starting with orange.) During initialization, the LED blinks in green.

4) When the LED stops blinking and lights in green, press the Resume/Cancel button the 4 times. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights alternately in either orange or green, starting with orange.)

5) Press the Power button. The LED lights in green, and the
selected function is performed. (When the operation completes, the printer returns to the menu selection mode automatically.)

6) Power off then back on and test.

Please be informed that it is a normal issue on Canon printers. Canon will change the absorber for free if your printer is still on Warranty. If it is not, they will charge for the service.

Solution: Ink Absorber Replacement Options

This printer has an ink absorber that takes in ink during the printing and print head cleaning processes. The cleaning process is necessary in order to keep the print head nozzles from becoming clogged. Over the life of the printer, the amount of ink that the ink absorber has absorbed is calculated by the printer. Eventually, after substantial use, the printer will enter an error condition when the ink absorber is nearly full. At this point, printing is still possible by pressing the button on the printer. To protect the printer from damage, you will not be able to print at all once the ink absorber is full.

Canon recommends having the printer serviced before the absorber becomes full. We are aware that there are many "do-it-yourself" Web sites that offer instructions for making this repair. Replacing the ink absorber is a complicated and potentially messy procedure. Even if the ink absorber is successfully changed, the ink absorber counter must be reset. Be aware that if you attempt this procedure, it is at your own risk.

If you feel your product might require service, a Technical Support Representative will be happy to answer any questions you may have and explain the service options available to you. You can contact us through the email link or phone numbers listed below.

• For toll-free technical support, please call 1(###) ###-####during regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. EST, excluding holidays).

• Toll-free TDD Support Line for the Hearing Impaired is available Monday - Saturday (excluding holidays) at 1-***-***-****

• Technical Support is available for Customers in Canada at 1-800-OK-CANON

If your printer is no longer under warranty :

• For toll-free technical support, please call 1(###) ###-####during regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. EST, excluding holidays). Pay for support is required on all units outside their original warranty, unless covered by a Canon Extended Service Plan. The charge will be $9.99.

If the issue persists or you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I will be happy to assist you.

If the response was helpful, please remember to RATE my service with 3-5 STARS OR a Smiley face.

S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That won't work and I pretty sure that the absorber is full. It will be cheaper and quicker to get another printer

Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I suggest the same. If you go to a local technician, it is not worthy repairing the printer. It is better to get a new printer, if you can afford it. Thank you.S H E F I N
Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.