Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a new Canon Pixma series MG3250 printer/scanner, which

I have a new Canon Pixma series MG3250 printer/scanner, which has been working OK.
Today I sent a command to print a document from my computer. The process sounded as if it was starting OK, and then stopped altogether. The paper had not started to be fed back out. The print list shows that the command has been sent but says there is an error. Deleting the document or switching the printer off and on again does not help, as the command has already been sent. My old printer sometimes did this and I could stop and restart the print spooler to get things going again. What should I do with the Canon?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. What version of windows or mac is on the computer? How is the printer connected to it? If you open the print que what is listed in it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy.

On top of everything else, I am currently experiencing problems with my Internet provision! I am replying to you on my phone.

I still have Vista on my pc. The printer is wireless. We have WiFi internet. Although there is a problem at the moment the printer has been working OK. The print queue tells me that only the one document is printing. If I try to delete it, it says the command has already been sent.

Do you think this has occurred because of our intermittent signal recently? If so, why doesn't printing resume when the Internet reconnects? I'd like to have a procedure I can follow if this is going to occur regularly (like my old print spooler trick).

Thanks for your assistance.

Steph

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Thank you on Vista you should actually be able to do the print spooler trick again.
To do that hold down the windows key between ctrl and alt on the left side of the keyboard.

While holding it down tap R and then in the run box type in services.msc.
Click on ok and in the window that opens find print spooler, double click it to open it.

Click stop in the window that opens and wait 30 seconds.
In that same window click on start. If the same thing happens your router may be the cause.

Since you are having connection issues with the computer as well you may want to call your internet provider.
Ask them to refresh the signal, and if it still does not work they may need to replace the router.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for this, Freddy. I'm glad to know the trick. Tried it, with no success.

I'm not surprised it didn't work, however. We have been arguing with our internet provider for months now. They finally sent us a new router but our general problems are still not solved. Looks like we will have to buy a more powerful router next. Still, it is helpful to know that the printing problem is due to our poor internet signal - more fuel for my argument.

Do you want me to keep this conversation open till the printer is working again? The provider is monitoring our system and is due to ring me again on Monday.

Best wishes,

Steph

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
To be sure it is the router connect the printer to your computer with a usb cable and try to print. If the router/network is the issue reinstalling via USB it should print properly. If it does not print properly you could have a deeper issue.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have had a bit of a hunt for the cable! The printer is now connected to the pc and is ready to use. I still have 'Error -printing' showing in the print queue.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You would need to reinstall it first, the computer is seeing it as a network printer still
Click on the windows start button and in the search box type printers and press enter.
(if there is not search box click on control panel and then printers)

Right click on your machine and any copies of it and click on delete.
Then disconnect the cable connecting it to the computer.

You will need to restart the computer, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.
Restart the computer and reinstall the printer.

Only connect the usb cable when the computers asks you to or when the installation is finished.
Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Freddy - I have to go out now so haven't got time to follow this procedure now. I'll do it when I get home tomorrow and then get back to you, if that's OK. (Really need my printer to print me a copy of these complicated instructions to follow, but can't do that, of course!)

Thanks for your help.

Steph

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
No problem take all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again, Freddy.

I have done everything you recommended. It looked as if the machine was going to print, although the command for the original document had now disappeared altogether and I had to request a copy of a different document. After a stammering start to the print, with delays of several seconds between bursts, the page was spat out only printed across the top. Same again on the second attempt. This with the USB cable connecting the device. The light showing number of copies was circulating round the box. I have been unable to locate anything useful in the troubleshooting line. Oh for the old days when I would have had a written instruction leaflet in my hand! Can you help?

Steph

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
What you are saying is not a good sign, please make a copy from the scanner glass so the computer is not used at all and let me know what comes out.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just attempted a photocopy. The light in the number of pages box flashes between 1, 7 and E and there is no print result.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn, how old is the printer? If over a year old did you happen to get an extended warranty? Have you tried cleaning it yet by any chance?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is brand new - a couple of weeks. I haven't done anything to it because I haven't got an instruction manual. I can barely work out how to use the basics. I was surprised to receive a notification that I was already out of coloured ink in the cartridge, as I usually print in black and white but there seemed nothing to do but replace it. It has just told me I didn't realign the heads after changing the cartridge but I don't know how to do it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It sounds like it may having a defective print head from everything you are telling me. Thousands of these are made at a time so every once and a while a defective one does get it. It would cause all the problems you are seeing including that one with the ink. I would suggest returning it and exchanging it for another. Most stiores will exchange it within 30 days. Then just repeat the reinstall steps I gave you with another. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for this helpful, if unwelcome advice. Predictably, It could not come at a worse time as I have a project on that has to be completed by Thursday and which requires all the functions of the printer.

I will be sure to rate your service when we have got to the end of the process, don't worry. I'll come back to you when I have spoken to the retailer.

Steph

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news and no problem take all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy.

I have been away - sorry to be so long getting back to you.

The performance of the printer seems to have completely settled down! It is printing, in black and white or colour, from the pc on command, and scanning and phpotocopying fine. So I have not returned it to the retailer. Does it make sense to you that it might have an intemittent fault if, indeed, the printer head is defective? It doesn't to me. Anyway, it is still under warantee so I have time to monitor it. There is still no explanation for the notification that the colour cartridge was empty after practically no use? Do you think it would be worth reinserting it?

In any case, I am glad to have the instructions for getting at the print spooler.

I did give you a rating the other day.

Steph

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Yes that can happen intermittenly if the nozzle is wearing down inside of the print head. I would recommend exchanging at the store just to be on the safe side but it is up to you.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thanks for all your help, Freddy. I'll take your advice.

Goodbye.

Steph