Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Thanks Michelle, xp-312 paper did jam while printing out a magazine page. stopped, saw

thanks Michelle,
xp-312 paper did jam while printing out a magazine page. stopped, saw the rolled up paper at the right, gently pulled it out, no pieces seemed to be torn and left behind.
I can see absolutely nothing to cause a blockage; tried upside downing, shaking, etc, no change. removed the cables, let it stand for a while, pressed and held the mains (power!) switch, still no good. I was searching for clues and yours came up. what do you suggest?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you
does the paper jam each time you try to print or are you getting an error
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this is one off.

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
turn off printer and unplug power cord
remove all paper from paper tray
keep the ON button on unit pressed for 10 secs
wait for 2 mins
plug in power cord and turn on
wait for 3-4 mins
then insert few sheets of paper and try a print
let me know the status
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

upon turn on, the "Paper Jam.." message appeared. Tried printing a text paper just the same, nothing doing.

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
does it feed paper or you get the jam message immediately on turn on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

jam message on turn on

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
there is a possibility that the paper sensor got stuck somewhere when you pulled that sheet out that got stuck
turn off the printer and tap the printer a bit on sides
turn on and check
if still the error repeats, let me know how old is the printer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'd already done the tapping bit.

If you mean whether the printer is on guarantee, I'll be damned if I take it back to the place where I'd bought it: the last time I had done that I ended up taking the printer to the municipal dumping groud, the way they abused it with their screwdrivers.

would you suggest that I attempt to take it apart to see if there really is something stuck at a place not immediately visible?

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
the possible fault is the paper sensor
either it has moved from its place or has faulted and is displaying a jam wherein actually there is nothing jammed inside
in either case the sensor is involved and the unit would need to be disassembled for service
however to be honest a service would be costly and you can buy a new printer at almost the same or little more cost
i hope you understand that in case of hardware faults i can suggest cleaning and reset steps but cannot make a bad part work again
Let me know if you have any questions
please click on a smiley face below or stars above to complete the rating if your question has been answered
Thanks for choosing Just answer