Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

Canon Pixma ip4700. It has stopped printing cyan and part magenta

Canon Pixma ip4700. It has stopped printing cyan and part magenta colours. I have changed cartiridges. On test even the magenta and related colours are weak. - no good!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step to remove any firmware issues causing this, can you remove the power to the printer and wait 10 minutes then connect the power and turn on the printer.
Then print and tell me if the colors show better now please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just as bad. Power has been off all night and again just now.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ian
Can you remove the ink cartridges from the printer then remove the print head.
Soak the print head in warm soapy water, giving it a clean, especially around the nozzle parts of the print head.
Then dry it out, put it back in the printer, put the ink back in and tell me if it now prints correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cartridges out but how do I remove the print head which I presume is the whole thing that they sit in? There seems to be a handle of sorts, which comes upwards but I don't want to force it. What next?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, you use the handle, bring it upwards and the entire unit that the ink cartridges in can then be lifted out.
Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No can do. It seems to be attached at the back?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, it will come out, it is very similar to in these pictures
http://mboesen.net/hardware/print_heads/print_heads.html
You will be able to lift it out just takes some effort.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Back at computer, still cannot move cartridge carrier towards front of printer as is shown on the pictures. More effort will snap plastic somewhere! You will hear the crack across the Atlantic.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Don't want that Ian.
But explains the problem, if it cannot be removed then its the print head thats jammed or failed and this is why it is not printing correctly or will even not come out.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have it replaced (they will replace the entire internal unit). It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.