Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

Printer Pixma ip 4200 Stopped printing in colour. Text

Printer Pixma ip 4200
Stopped printing in colour.
Text that is , say red, is just not printed at all.
I have plenty of Ink, have run maintenance checks several times and the print printouts are OK Except there is no colour text.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Are you using genuine canon inks, or generic/refilled cartridges?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Using another company, but have used them for years. they have the chip (rather than cheaper ones where you have to swap a chip over).

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Not so worried about the chip here as the ink itself.The aftermarket inks tend to be lower quality - the pigments are not as finely ground, and more prone to clogging. I mention this because these symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head. You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning. I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2005 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi nathan

Just done two further deep cleans and no improvement. As all the colour printing disappeared at the same time and went from good to nil overnight I suspect that it is wear and tear within the hardware.

So time for a new printer.

Thanks for your advice

Erica

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome, Erica If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1e0YgkO If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1RHxtqWThank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan