Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

How do I fix a paper jam (first and only one in 2-3 years)

How do I fix a paper jam (first and only one in 2-3 years) in a Canon MG 5450 all-in-one. The printer carriage is stuck on the left hand side during duplex printing (second page) with just a small amount of paper showing in the machine? Followed on-screen instructions - turn off and on, and cancelled printing.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Did you already remove all paper you found?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Freddy. The paper is jammed in by the cartridge carrier tray, but if haven't tried hard to remove it in case it tears and just makes matters worse. I'm on the verge of just buying a new one as the cost of new parts and repair is often not worth it, but I'm trying Just Answers for the first time before doing this..

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Thank you for clarifying please turn it around so you are looking at the back.
Remove the rear cover and try getting the paper from here:

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had previously removed the rear cover but not the further light grey duplex cover inside. I have now managed to remove the paper, turned it off and on again and done a double-sided test print, which was successful. We seem to be up and running again. Many thanks. It was a simple fix in the end for the £20 out of my pension, but at least it has saved me spending £60 on a new machine.

This is the first time I have used just answers, and I appreciated how quickly you responded and how easy the process was. So, thanks again. I shall now do your rating. Best wishes.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and thank you for the rating I greatly appreciate it.
.