Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

I have a canon pixma mp610 which won't scan. The scan

I have a canon pixma mp610 which won't scan. The scan preview is working fine, but nothing comes out when I Scan. All ink cartridges are full.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. Is there any error or message?Are you still able to print?Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, or mac computer?Please reply at the box below. Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can still print normally. Windows 8.1. No error message, just a blank piece of paper comes out.

Was scanning working previously?- Do you mean if you put a document or photo faced down on the printer's glass, then press the Black Copy or Color Copy button / option on the printer, then a blank piece of paper comes out?- Or do you mean you are trying to scan a document or photo from the printer to a file on your computer?Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The first option.

Do both black copy and color copy come out blank? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have just tried black and white

How about color copy? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

colour copy comes out ok

Does printing both black and color okay from the computer? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

On the printer, from the Home screen, please go to Settings, then Maintenance, then Cleaning, and continue in order to clean the printer head. If it does not work, try the Deep cleaning option.Please click on the websites below for full instructions / illustrations: http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&SOURCE_RELATED_ARTICLE=true&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=16957&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&SOURCE_RELATED_ARTICLE=true&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=50021&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=49988 Please reply back to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That didn't work.

I'm sorry. Do you have a new black ink cartridge to try? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

already changed it

Sorry, please try:On the operator panel, press and hold the <ON/OFF> button for one second to power off the printer. (The display will go blank.)Note: It may be necessary to unplug the power cord if pressing the ON/OFF button does not shut off the printer. Confirm the printer is not on and then unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.If the power cord was disconnected (as stated in step 1) in order to shut off the printer, go to step 3. Press the <ON/OFF> button repeatedly five (5) times. Re-connect the power cord. Press the <ON/OFF> button to power the printer back on. Wait until the device has completed its cycling process before submitting another job request.Reference:http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=32500Please let me know. Thank you.
Viet - Printer Tech, Technician
Experience: Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still nothing

I'm sorry, it could be a hardware issue with the black copy function on the printer. Do you know how to scan to the computer? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but this is very time consuming. I may have to bring it in to a repair shop.

I'm really sorry; I'm out of suggestions, but let me open the issue to other experts. Please do not wait; you will get an email message when there is a suggestion from another expert. Thank you.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.

Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have reviewed some of the answers from the previous technician and this has resolved the problem. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I am glad to hear you got it resolved.
.
You're welcome. Thank you for reviewing my suggestions. I'm glad you got it working now. If you need anything else, please come back any time. Thank you very much for your patience.