Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

My computer sends messages to my HP 6520 printer. The usual

My computer sends messages to my HP 6520 printer. The usual noise occurs but the page is issued blank. The same happens with photocopying. I recently upgraded to Windows 10. Any suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
This is not a windows 10 or computer issue, it is a printer fault. These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head. You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning. I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is at/ast its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried what you suggest and the test page is printed perfectly but nothing sent from the computer prints at all. If the problem is in the printheads surely the test page would be impaired?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Well you said initially that this happened on the copy function as well.When you do a test page that generally comes out in color, so can you test another photocopy, specifically in black only mode, and let me know how that works?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The photocopy comes out blank

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so that confirms a printer fault, for the reasons I explained earlier. It is not a computer issue.You may see something on a test/alignment page, but that would only mean that some of the colors are functioning, you still have clogged/faulty black nozzles on the printhead.
Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It comes out blank on black copy but the black does print on colour copy

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
It really is not, it is printing all colors mixed together in color mode so it looks like black, but it isn't really black ink.You still have a bad printhead or clogged black nozzles.Have you done the cleaning steps?