Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My printer SX420W will not operate. When I switch on I get

Customer Question

My printer SX420W will not operate. When I switch on I get the following message:- I get E-01 PRINTER ERROR HAS OCCURRED - SWITCH OFF Can you help?

I HAVE RECENTLY INSTALLED WINDOWS 10 ON MY LAPTOP

Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. E-01 means paper jam. Please make a copy from the scanner glass so the computer is not used at all, let me know what the machine does.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done as requested, and have the same result. I have tried every button, starting with Copy, Print Photos, Scan, Copy and finally The Green & Red Buttons. The only button that works is the Power Off.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
The error as I mentioned means there is a paper jam I had you test a copy to rule out the computer completely as you said you just upgraded to windows 10. Remove all paper from the paper feed and blow it out with compressed air a few times > With a flashlight look in the paper feed

Make sure there is no foreign object like a paper clip (as an example only). Blow some compressed air inside the printer as well to remove excess dust. Very carefully double check on the far left and right sides of the printer (Where the carriage moves back and forth) to make sure no paper has jammed up in there as it often does.

While the printer is still off, press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Load a single sheet of paper into the paper tray, while holding down the power button, plug the printer back in, and power on the printer if it doesn't do so automatically.

After that, if the error is still there then the printer will need to be taken apart and the sensors inside may need to be replaced. Unfortunately, if the warranty is out (it lasts a year unless you buy an extended warranty), it can be expensive so some people do replace it instead, but you may call01952 607 111 to get the machine covered if it is still under warranty.

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Epson.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Freddie, I tried as you suggested and had great difficulty loading a single sheet. I then tried loading about 15 sheets and the m/c copied. I have for a year or two had problems loading paper, perhaps it's now time to buy a new one. I'll now do a standard print job & let you know.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have carried out all the tests you suggested, all successfully, but when I use the laptop to print nothing!!!!!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Are you still getting e-01?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
What exactly does it do now?Please make a copy from the scanner glass so the computer is not used at all. Let me know what it does when you do this as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The scanning light, then stops and asks to check the connection

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Open the control panel and then click on hardware and sound.

Then click on devices and printers.

Right click on your machine and any copies of it and click on delete.

Then disconnect the cable connecting it to the computer or router if there is one, if not skip this.

You will need to restart the computer, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.

Restart the computer and reinstall the printer.

Only connect the cable if using one when the computers asks you to or when the installation is finished.

Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.

Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Freddie. I will try to put your suggestions into practice tomorrow. I'll come back to you then. Note my assessment of you !!!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I greatly appreciate the rating.