Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

After clearing a paper jam have a 'printer error' readout,

After clearing a paper jam have a 'printer error' readout, and a flashing WIFI light, which won't clear even after unplugging overnight. Can you help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. What is the make/model of your printer?Are you getting any specific error code/number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Epsom stylus SX515W. The number given on my computer screen differs from the one on the printer by one digit, and is SX515OW. There is no error code.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).Given the age of the printer and the recent jam, the likelihood is high that there was some damage caused by the jam.What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.Then reset the machine:unplug power at the wall outletwait 5 minutespress and hold the power/on button for 60+ secondskeep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Because the printer will not let me use any of the control buttons I cannot move the cartridge compartment and therefore cannot remove the inks.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You can move it manually. Unplug the power and it should move freely. If it does not, then the carriage is jammed, which is part of the underlying cause of the error message .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No luck. No sign of any debris. Machine very static but have cleaned, with rubbing alcohol, everything I can reach. Plugged in again and switched on, but same result.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Did the carriage move freely?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I managed to move the inks compartment and remove the cartridges, but nothing else moves.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I know it isn't moving on its own right now, but I'm asking if it was able to move freely when you were doing so manually, or if it took a lot of force.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry I think we have a misunderstanding here - nothing except the inks compartment is designed to move - it is all fixed. I can move the ink compartment freely when printer unplugged.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming, that is exactly what I was asking you. Unfortunately, at this point since none of the cleaning/reset processes have helped, this really leaves only the possibility of an internal hardware fault.This is most likely the result of damage caused by the prior jam, but this could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life. This is something that would require repairs to correct; and at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $200+ range to have the unit repaired at an epson service center. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying new parts for an older printer.Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Thank you. I will give it some thought.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1KvUVIe