Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have an out-of-warranty Dell Colour Laser 1765nfw, about

Customer Question

I have an out-of-warranty Dell Colour Laser 1765nfw, about 2 years old. It has started to make a loud clacking noise and ceased to print.
Dell said there is non-repairable (except under warranty) and it was due to a cog wheel which detects I have been using non-Dell toner (which I have).
Is it true that Dell detects non-Dell toner cartridges and this shortens the life of the printer?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Non-genuine cartridges can damage any model printer of any brand. Using non-genuine cartridges shortens the life because of this. It has nothing to do with a cog though so I am not sure why you were told that. A cog could be what is damaged. Where on the machine does the noise sound like it is coming from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It sounds as though it's coming from the rear, but it isn't a paper jam. The clacking noise is very loud.

Dell explained that the printer was a closed unit, and cannot be repaired, but they haven't done any trouble-shooting as it's out of warranty. My previous experience is that any repair would cost more than purchasing a new printer, which is what I will be doing.

Thank you for your advice.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
It is not a closed unit, dell often says that because they use propriatary parts. It is one of the reasons I normally do not recommend them. From what you are saying the problem is most likely the fuser: Click Here That video shows how to replace it. As you can see from the video it is not a closed unit, juts a pain to work on. I suggest removing and reinserting your current fuser while visually inspecting all rollers and cogs. Make sure to let the machine cool down first it can get very hot. After that unfortunately it would cost more to fix than replace, hopefully however you will find something stuck or just reseating the fuser will be enough. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Dell.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks, ***** ***** useful.

I will see if the existing fuser can be reseated, but a new fuser (in the UK) is 75% the price of a new printer (same model but with WiFi capability and iOS compatibility) with toners inc. guarantee, so it's just not worth it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
That is actually why I mentioned it is normally cheaper to replace. Good luck and I hope you have a great day.