Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have an OKI 3640 a3 printer. The small screen at the front

I have an OKI 3640 a3 printer. The small screen at the front has stopped working. The buttons work but if there is any kind of a problem e.g. no toner, you don't know which toner is depleted. Sometimes the screen will come back on for a minute or two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. How old is it? Does it show any sign of power if you try to turn it on right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy,

Thank you for your reply.

The machine is 6 years old, however it has not had a lot of use. There is no problem with power to the actual machine in fact it prints out perfectly. The problem is with the small screen at the front which gives messages e.g. "out of cyan toner", or "paper too heavy" or "empty waste toner". Without this screen when you get a problem you don't know what it is. The buttons which operate the screen work but you are working blind.

To the lay person it is like there is a loose electrical connection or something similar. There may be a problem getting a new part due to the age of the machine. The fact that the screen came to life yesterday for a few minutes is puzzling and frustrating. The particular part looks difficult to get in at unless you know what you are doing.

Hopefully you might have some suggestions.

Regards,

Colm

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That sounds like the LED panel itself is failing, did you happen to get an extended warranty? They often fail intermittently which is why it can come on for a little while and then stop working again. It can also be caused by the control board starting to fail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The machine is supposed to be supported, however, they are saying they are looking for a part. For the past few weeks they are not returning my calls. So I was trying to sort it myself.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to say from what you have told me I have told me I am going to have to agree that you are indeed going to need a new part. It will either be the screen itself or the board I mentioned before and both can be hard to find (this may be why they are avoiding you). A lot of the time you can only get it by removing it from the same model machine that has a different problem and because it is hard to find the parts they can be expensive when you buy it yourself. On this machine you would also need a technician to replace the parts it is not something you can do yourself. If done improperly you can damage the machine further, due to this some people do end up replacing them instead. I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news. I do not know of anywhere that still carries parts for this model, but if you end up deciding to replace it I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Oki.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Freddy for your help. All I wanted from the suppliers was a straight answer so I would know whether I was wasting my time or not.

It looks like I'll be needing a new machine so if you have any suggestions I would be glad to hear them.

Thank you for you help and I will have no problem giving you a positive rating.

Regards,

Colm

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I would be happy to help you find a replacement. I just need a little more info on what you would want. Do you have any prefence on brand? Do you have a preference on Laser or InkJet machines? What is your price range?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would need a versatile machine which would print on heavy card up to at least 300gsm on SRA3 in full colour. I would also want it to be able to print on envelopes.

Just a few pointers would help as because I am in Ireland there would not be a large range of local suppliers for back up.

My price range would be approx Stg 3-4K.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok well for inkjet right now the best machines on the market are the Epson WF series machines though I would not recmmend any other series of Epson. They should also be well below that price range. They are meant for small offices and may not work for you though.

However for the sizes etc you are looking at I would recommend a Xerox Phaser or a Samsung Xpress machine. They both should be able to do this and are similar to your Oki but the parts when needed tend to be a lot easier to find. I personally prefer the Samsung models but both are good.

If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your oki.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience