Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

I have a canon printer MP499. The photocopy function prints

I have a canon printer MP499. The photocopy function prints fine but anything from the internet has massive horizontal stripes through it and is illegiable. It has caused me to have to handwrite some documents. We use good paper and the ink cartridges have been renewed, the printer is only used intermittantly. If the heads need cleaning I have no idea how to do this even after consulting the manual. Please can you help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome
Can you tell me please if you are using a windows or Mac computer and which internet browser you use please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using windows and google chrome
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you press the windows key + R and type in
iexplore.exe
Press enter
this will open internet explorer. Do a print of any web page and tell me if within this you also have the problem. This will then tell me if Chrome is at fault.
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not understand your instruction - press the windows key (what is that please?)
and R (is that return key?)
and which is the enter key please?
so sorry I am a very inexperienced computer user
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem
The windows key is the key with the windows logo on it on your Keyboard, net to the ALT Key
The R key is the key on your keyboard with the R on it
The Enter key is the one with Enter on it
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Richard for your time and advice. I have to admit that when I realised how quickly the ink cartridges need replacing ( I had hardly used them) I purchased some new ones and the printer is fine. What a fool! Many thanks it is a good service you offer and thanks for your patience.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem and your most welcome!They do go quick, its how they make all their money (worth more the gold)If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.Thank you